Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Mildred the 1972 Renault 4

Chris Litchfield

Enthusiast
Hello all

I never really got over parting with Reg and always knew I would get another. Finally, my favourite style of Renault 4 has come my way.

Bought new in 1972 in Cyprus, this car was then imported and registed the UK in 1975 (hence the P plate.) The original owner kept it until a couple of years ago and passed it on to a couple who after letting it sit around for a few years, have decided they have too many projects. They let me have her for a donation to the British Heart Foundation.

Although she looks a little sad, she is really straight. The paintwork is like a patchwork quilt, but the colour is lovely. The drivers side floor needs repairing and there is rust on the roof and n/s wing, but the rest is surface and looks quite charming. The chassis is really solid :)

The engine is a concern. The car hasn't been running for about 10 years and I don't know whether she was running ok when she came off the road. I will post a separate thread about this, seeking some advice...

I hope to get her up and running and on the road in the next few months. Watch this space...

Chris

p.s. It is lovely to be back :D

• 1Front.jpg
    1Front.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 1Front2.jpg
    1Front2.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 1Badge.jpg
    1Badge.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 1Front_Open2.jpg
    1Front_Open2.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 1Rear.jpg
    1Rear.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 1Roof.jpg
    1Roof.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 331
  • 1Gutter.jpg
    1Gutter.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 1Mirror.jpg
    1Mirror.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 325
  • 1Int.jpg
    1Int.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 326
  • 1Rear_Int.jpg
    1Rear_Int.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 334
Do you call it Reg because it says regie on the diamond plate ?,Or some other reason ?
Reg,

Nice one Chris, although she looks a bit sad, your words not mine, isn't she lovely and original. It just goes to show, there are still some 4s out there waiting to be rescued. Bet you can't wait to get her on the road. Well done.:smile:

Lovely car :cool: and do not care about the roof, mine was worse than yours :eek: :eek: :eek:
233 Souvenir toit.jpg

Thanks everyone. I am really looking forward to getting her on the road. I don't want her to be a perfectly restored example (yet.) As long as she is solid and preserved, I am happy with the loveable shed look!

I like it, and I dont say that often

I like the "loveable shed" comment Chris. Just a thought, as the car was first registered in 1972, and you can prove this, you should be able to get an age-related registration from the DVLA and get road-tax exemption. Perhaps proof from Renault that it was built in 1972 would help. Worth having a go I think, no tax to pay and a nice set of silver on black plates, mmm nice.:D

She is already classed as a historic vehicle on her registration document and it states she was manufactured in 1972, so free road tax - woo hoo!

I did think about changing her to age related plates, but am also quite fond of her strange P plate, due to originating in Cyprus and moving to the UK in 75. I would like black plates though. Decisions decisions...!

Back