Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Mk1 Twingo UK Import

stevoSTR

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum here

I was looking some help if at all possible?

I have always been in love with the farfetched little frog faced wonder that is the mk1 twingo. Being Northern Ireland born and bred, as a kid this little gem reminds me of early 00's trips to the continent, a real crying shame they never sold them in the UK.

Anyways without rambling, fast forward a few years and I am in Germany with my wife visiting her parents when I spark an idea to look at ze local auto trader mobile.de to see if there are any of these gems still running free after spotting one on the way to the supermarket one evening.. Some scrolling and a bit of research later, it transpires they're utterly worthless on the continent!

We found one, went to see it and it was in VERY good nick so for 500 of my finest euros later, I'm the proud owner of Molly the twingo (previous owner named her) in all her flowery goodness.

I am about to take delivery in NI and had a few questions regarding MOT & legality:

I can see it only comes with a single rear fog light which is on the wrong side for UK compliance, I've bought an ugly but functional bumper mounted light, would anyone know how to take the existing feed from the left bulb and redivert to this bumper bulb?
I can see a chap has done it here however no explanation behind the wiring sadly. https://letwingoanglais.blogspot.com/2021/03/for-fogs-sake.html?m=1

Secondly, Headlights - am I ok to use beam benders for MOT as right hand drive Japanese export headlights are like hens teeth (unless someone has any they'd want to part with?

Any and all help appreciated

many thanks,

Stephen

MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg

Hello, Nice Twingo :)

To answer your questions - beam benders / tape are fine for MOT. No idea on how to modify the wiring but have a look at the Mk1 Twingo owners group on fb, they should be able to help.

Finally, Waxoyl the life out of it. These things really, really like to rust!

I'm about to try and register a mark 2 twingo (I can't tell the difference from a mark 1 except for bumpers). I'm thinking about converting the middle break light (one in rear window) to the fog lamp. The MOT manual doesn't say this light is mandatory. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking about converting the middle break light (one in rear window) to the fog lamp. The MOT manual doesn't say this light is mandatory. Any thoughts?
Personally, I wouldn't do this. Other drivers are used to most cars now having a third, high-level brake light so might be looking out for that and might miss that you are breaking when your tail lights are also on.

Back