Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My First Renault 4

Fuel pump replaced with cleaned and checked used original spare, and all is now well :).

We took the old pump apart and found that the oil seal on the diaphragm shaft had failed and oil had filled the chamber effectively hydrolocking the pump, hence the oil slick in the picture below. Originally we suspected the diaphragm may have perished due to ethanol though this was not the case.

Unfortunately the rest of the pumps components are in perfect condition but is unusable.

View attachment 26586
Parts are rather unnervingly aligned with the newspaper photo person. I gather he's one of these "ballfoot" types, or whatever they're called.

what an amazing feat, looking forward to the final piece. you make everything look so possible!! what coats of paint did you use for the interior and exterior protection coating? I'm planning an attempt to tackle rusts on my R4, would appreciate it if you can provide some recommendations, tips, and items/products used before I proceed.

what an amazing feat, looking forward to the final piece. you make everything look so possible!! what coats of paint did you use for the interior and exterior protection coating? I'm planning an attempt to tackle rusts on my R4, would appreciate it if you can provide some recommendations, tips, and items/products used before I proceed.
Many thanks :)

For products Wurth red oxide Rust-Stop, and for the paint two-pack primer then two-pack top coat is what was used on my car.
As for tips look on the forum at restorations and you'll find the common places 4's rust and it's likely someone will have shown how they repaired it. Getting rid of all rust as well as possible before making it look pretty is the best way to go, but you may be in for the long haul depending on your starting point.

Hope all goes well with your resto !

It's been over a year since my last post and not much has occured with the 4 as university has taken over and the car has been safely locked up at home and only regular services have been performed as needed and the car has been largely trouble free!

The only troubles that had occurred were as a result of the throttle lever plate being worn as pictured below. The wear in the hole for the throttle return spring cause the plate to stress and cut through two of the springs, snapping the hooked section and slamming the throttle wide open in the process.

The first time this happened the car was moving on a narrow back road which was an interesting experience :o , and the second when in a petrol station giving me some eye rolls from onlookers - luckily the spring was able to be bent around the hole enough to get home and replace it.

Now as I'm visiting my dad, at Renospeed in Devon, it is a good idea to replace lever with a less worn piece for the journey home.
On a better note my car performed perfectly on the way up to Devon with 277 miles covered in 4Hr 40m and achieving 44 MPG with my normal driving style at that, leaving us only mildly deafened in the process...all a bit of a blessing with current fuel prices :laughing:!

20220409_112359.jpg

Future plans for the Yellow Terror have no set date yet, but beefing up the suspension all round and particularly at the rear is first on the list as it has gotten particularly soft within the 13,000 miles driven since the restoration.

Next destination Beaulieu Simply French...

Back