Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My First Renault 4

Ooo, I would never admit to that :vsad: but I do think the all-silver look really does suit the 4, so, nice one Harry.

Last edited:
With the 4L International fast approaching we took the back box section off from stainless system and chopped off the twin pipes, then mocking up a single up-tilted and slightly left facing tail, using tape to mark the end point, which was then welded onto the single branch where the twin-pipes split from.

IMG_20190601_124026119.jpgIMG_20190601_131742208.jpg

For a more classic look we slash cut the end at an angle and then to spice it up ( my idea of course ) we polished the tip and made merry with the blowtorch until the metal turned a blue/purple colour for a 'titanium system look'.

The new tip has improved quietness drastically and still produces a pleasant sound, with pops and crackles like the twin setup :laughing:.

IMG_20190601_140302823.jpg
IMG_20190629_153001549.jpg

Also we fitted a rev counter, into a pod we already had, which has a nice light up display even going up to 10,000rpm ( though it may as well stop at 5500 ).
Unfortunately through erm ... rigorous ... erm ... testing ;) ,it reads around 300-500rpm too low at all speeds so it is rather pointless, thus we will contact the supplier for another item before Thenay.

The car is performing exceedingly well considering the temperatures we have been experiencing of late and has coped very well with an hour and a half of consistent blasting around last night :whistle:. There have been zero leaks, high temperatures or misfires to report so that old Portuguese engine is a superb one at that :).

IMG_20190629_153825259.jpg

Full license, still remember the word ‘Freedom!’ echoing in my head, Braveheart style, the worlds your oyster and the 4 a great place to see it from, happy motoring and well done on the pass.

Well done i took my test in 1977 in a Renault 10 green with s blue bonett i paid 17.50 for car and passed first time
I took my test in 1977 in a beige Renault 10 with go faster stripes and rally spotlights... and failed totally. For the icing on the cake, the passenger door handle failed and I had to get out and walk around to let the instructor out.

The handbrake had started snagging slightly not returning fully in one release and then a after a while it seemed to jump miles out of adjustment needing to be pulled up by double the length. We checked the rear brakes for bite, which were perfect, and then adjusted the handbrake itself, it felt much better but then found it snagging to an even worse degree, but after moving the passenger seat forward we could see the problem was that the end fitting had broken and pulled through the bracket. So a new pair of cables are going to be fitted.

All this is of course just in time for the start of college, so this weekends project is ago :vsad: ...

IMG_20190822_153846874.jpg

The handbrake had started snagging slightly not returning fully in one release and then a after a while it seemed to jump miles out of adjustment needing to be pulled up by double the length. We checked the rear brakes for bite, which were perfect, and then adjusted the handbrake itself, it felt much better but then found it snagging to an even worse degree, but after moving the passenger seat forward we could see the problem was that the end fitting had broken and pulled through the bracket. So a new pair of cables are going to be fitted.

All this is of course just in time for the start of college, so this weekends project is ago :vsad: ...

View attachment 24320
our old cars always need fettling even after a full rebuild like yours

Handbrake cables replaced with a more heavy duty application and rear nearside wheel bearing replaced as it had started to whine after coming back from Thenay :laughing:.

m5gcEBhV5QUpSQSBM-dVV71tVOaXRbDTA9AQ_hY-BF3P4SExNpwD6Ev1L_27zrHtBBhNMEJ-SmpWb4EGUVnSaukTKt5OphlAT14QRixeUaFRObjFtlbqjisN9_vHBCa7Ppwnz3DNFq4eyaERrB-5zQUiOJ5xZVSLFvy_DIC6yWLZCbwlBqxMvgIXiP5R1U5XiKTve-ykIprH51MovUJYqSfLchXyXLKFiwYZ006M-L-mzW8gduedTeK5AcL5dVuJkHXTh3yG-pmwBSN9mttCgrA5Uvp2lEJj9t-S_RIrH4ZVMW0T6K6HWqqBry3FTMpT2pXnCxfbCmXl7e8hAANLKOiyC013iBavdD1g1AmRi_tdr4u6-FV8WyDWfUQ_3TZLrE9GCBLwAutQgL_3Tj3OOEiuGsVxYzzJzIbhc0Shabj72x_bbEUh0ulTzExAw09TtzPhS6-smMdW44Ban3ylWxyl_s8meFsFXqkd9AXzPcjvNp7ke_eLbQAIYSILDgIJIgfKxikynVnqu7KiHMe8jLyunCvXlC61UsUjgPM21mGqCSCeDX5Y8wx0bQp_WpNgAga6MVyORawsunYqj1S5XH0fmDk8sXTb0F6NrM9-TAPY1hzC5kunboTbB_nfH0z6aaxUz8Ld2bA1jaUFE6YPz4xdiHM09WI=w703-h937-no

It's been a long while since I last posted but there are only so many times you can say that a car is running perfectly. However next on the list is to replace the brake master cylinder which was a good condition old stock piece that has now started to leak from the rear, so that is planed on being sorted next weekend.

However on another note during a break from the terrible weather we've been having in the UK lately we took Dads Cream Gordini/Alpine powered R4 out and I had a little go to experience what a proper engine feels like ;). It was definetely lightyears faster that my car and especially intoxicating at higher revs. It was a strange experience glancing at the rev counter and seeing it pull past 4500 in higher gears and having a 5th gear was a nice extra :laughing:.

I now definitely know that I want a R4 with a big engine but that'll have to wait a few years ...

20191103_133918.jpg
20191103_133910.jpg

Last edited:
How do you check the oil, and the points? where is the distributor?

Back