Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My new steering wheel

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
In a quest to gain a little more leg space, I've acquired a 13" Moto Lita in black with a leather rim and already fitted with a Renault centre cap with badge. It's moderately dished and an inch or two smaller in diameter, so should work well. It also looks rather nice...

I've given it a clean and treated the leather with conditioner. Just got to fit it now.

I was told it came off an early Renault 4, so I'm hoping it'll fit my '86 GTL. The splined fitting is about 17 or 18 mm - what size socket will I need?

Incidentally, on the leg room front, it was early days of Quatrelle ownership and even with the seat as far back as I could, I wondered how a taller French person would manage (I'm just 6'). The seat runners looked a little dry so I sprayed them with WD40 and took it for an MoT.

On collecting the car I had too much leg room! It seems the burly, taller than me mechanic had just slid the seat back - perhaps the oil had soaked in? By this time I'd already got the Moto Lita..

IMG_20200412_143915864_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20200412_143934535_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20200412_144113048.jpg

Hi, Nice steering wheel,
The hubnut is 22mm if the original nut is still on it.
The seat adjustment rail are best greased with a dab of multi purpose grease.
WD 40 is not a lubricant. It loosens rusty bits

Last edited:
Hi, Nice steering wheel,
The hubnut is 22mm if the original nut isn’t still on it.
The seat adjustment rail are best greased with a dab of multi purpose grease.
WD 40 is not a lubricant. It loosens rusty bits
Thanks. Yes, the WD40 was just to get things moving. Re hubnut did you mean "is still on it" ? Cheers, Mark

Back