Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Need ideas for Research project

Bluebell

Enthusiast
I'm studying French at Leeds Metropolitan Uni and I need ideas for a research project. It's sort of to do with R4s. I'm comparing the French and English, in whatever way, socially, politically or economically. For example I want to show that the cars that were popular in each country denoted a different lifestyle; a Frenchman needed a Renault 4 for the country life while an Englishman might have chosen a Mini for the city. Also the importance of the last two number plate numbers for the French showing strong regional loyalties. The difficulty of French registration laws showing obsession with order. Etc, etc.

Could you put on your thinking caps and let me know anything that comes to mind and any info regarding the French and English differences that can be illustrated by reference to French motoring and maybe involving the R4. Also any nice pics for illustration. Thanks guys.
:yellowre:

Ideas please!

:yellowre:

C'mon folks. At least could you tell me why people like having old French cars like R4s. What does it show you about the chap (or chapesse) that runs one?

Also why are French car adverts so typically French (Papa et Nichole). Do we drive French cars to appear a bit French and what are these bits of Frenchness that appeal to us?

There is no definitive answer to this one. As you can see by by surname, it's Irish yet there's a French Brandy under the same name. I like both the older Renaults and Citroens because they appear simple, yet can be very quirky when you start working on them. English cars followed very basic formats yet the French decided on doing things differently starting off with the 11cv (similar to the Light 15) in the 1930's - front wheel drive with the gearbox on the front, torsion bar suspension etc. Yet the interior was very basic. Engish cars had quite lavish interiors in comparison, but cart springs, engine/gearbox and axle all the 'right' way round. The only cars that attempted to be a little different were the Jowetts. That is until the Mini came along.

Another thing to consider is that the French had a 'peasant' culture until not too long ago (not talking about the cities) and small basic cars were all that was needed. They had to contend with ploughed fields and cobble stones hence the high ground clearance and torsion bar suspension. Compared to France, we were quite advanced agriculturally and our roads were better.

A British person owing a R4 or 2CV could be considered as being 'bohemian' or at least liked to think they were. For myself, and being a mechanic, I liked the well made mechanics and the fact I had to use some lateral thought when working out how to fix something.

It could also be argued that the French were basically lazy. Why spend time designing a lavish door and window opening mechanisms when the time could be better spent down the local cafe drinking wine. The door or window will open anyway - simple, why make life complicated? The complicated mechanics were so well built they needed little attention anyway! That is until eg the starter motor goes wrong - this is where the English cars had the advantage - most things were easy to get at.

So, you could argue that the British were very logical when designing cars, and the French illogical (but with their own form of logic).

Comparing how different cultures perceive things is interesting. An Arab would perceive a camel in a different way to an Englishman, similarly an Indian would look at a cow in a different light, and others who live in thrid world countries perceive food as a matter of life or death, whereas we in the West go for taste as we have so much choice.

Better stop now - you've chosen a difficult subject

Steve

:D Thank you Steve, you've given me much food for thought and some very interesting points to work on. I can illustrate by using some of the old farming and pick up Renaults and Citroens from the website (if Clementine doesn't mind).

I was surprised to find that 8,135,424 R4s were made and production finished as late as 1994. What has happened to them all? The last 1000 were counted down with a special plaque on the dashboard. Has anyone got one of these cars?

Still doing R4 project but nearly finished with only a presentation after Easter. Just one more question:

Does anyone know when they stopped putting those little handles at the front and were they just for attaching a tow rope? I can't believe that R4s ever did need a tow!

The carry handles were introduced at the start of 1968 and as far as I know stayed until the end of production. I think they are for decoration. They'd be no good for towing as they attach to the top of the front wing which isn't very strong.

Did you know the Renault 4 was the 5th best selling car ever? Beaten by the Beetle, Model T, Lada Riva and Fiat Uno.

Fab photo

Tomorrow, I am going to post up an absolutely fab photo of what R4's do so well and that carrying things - Don't finish your project till you have seen it and please use it. I also hope the BBC web site will put it up on their photo website!!

Ian S

Thanks, Ian, I'm looking forward to your photo. I'm grateful for any interesting pictures or facts about R4s.

About the carry handles, the early R4s didn't seem to have them, or the F6 Fourgonettes, or in fact any of the smarter models like the Parisienne, but I might be wrong. Did the foreign made cars, eg the ones made in Spain, have them?

Apparently the R4 was the most popular imported car ever in Germany.

Anyone for a row?

John - A photo for your project, my R4 doing what it does best, carrying things!!

Ian S

• CIMG4947.JPG
    CIMG4947.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 58
Back