Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Noisy heater fan

MarioZg

Enthusiast
When I turn on my heater in these cold days, it`s starting very noisy, but stops with noise after few minutes. Few very long minutes because my ears will start bleeding very soon. Anyway, is there any help or the bearing is worn? You can hear what I`m talking about in the video below.
ATTENTION: Low your speakers :D

If the plastic flap - arrowed in the picture - is touching the fan, you'll get a very similar noise. Perhaps the linkage isn't working properly?DSC00874 (3)_LI.jpg

Judicial use of WD40 (other products of a similar nature are available) sprayed sparingly into the fan motor might help. Having listened to your clip it sounds like the bearing is sticky and when it warms up a little the lubrication moves about a bit, thus stopping the noise. WD40 might help lubricate things a bit more than it is.

Had this problem on my 4 after I had removed and reinstalled heater,, fan would make a noise not unlike clip, when i took front cover back off of heater (fan housing) I could see slight friction marks on the circular part of matrix housing pictured above,the fan itself is mounted by 3 bolts, behind casing, inbetween motor and casing, on mine these 3 fixing bolts had 4 shim washers, so the axis of fan could be slightly adjusted by the movement/addition of these washers, I looked at friction mark on casing ( if its making a noise, it will be leaving a mark).and moved shim washers so axis would change stopping fan itself coming into contact with casing.
Bit involved and trial and error ( assembled once, checked , dissasembled, adjusted, reasembled) but effective in getting the fan to run without undue noises.
Also noticed that the matrix housing fixing to the bulkhead itself needed tightening the same amount each fixing, if tightened unevenly it throws the shape slightly out making fan contact more of a possibility.

The bearing has worn out.
I have the same problem.
I let the matrix warm up for some minutes and then turn on the fan.
It’s best to change the fan motor with a better one. Spraying with WD 40 wil help some. But is not the best solution.
WD40 is to loosen rusted bolts it isn’t a lubricant.

Today I found time to try to fix it... removed radio console and partly removed heater cover. Broke few plastic parts :doh:, oiled the fan motor, put it all back and did nothing because it`s still the same. :mad:

Good job MarioZg. :D......

Just kidding.
You need to take of whole dash board, steering wheel, instrument panel and heater pipes.
Than all plastics would survive.
Beside, you must find warm garage to do it as plastic is so hard on this cold winter temperatures.

And must learn to be more patient;)

Had exactly the same thing. Removed 2 screws and unclipped at the bottom to create a gap. Sprayed 3 in 1 on to shaft and faced the jet back behind the cover hoping that some spray would land on the other end. Not as good as removing the whole thing but quicker and easier. Problem solved. The 3 in 1 product is yet another variety of WD40 which is a lubricant despite what was said above, albeit a very low viscosity lubricant.

I removed the fan and poured some oil inside. First few times after turning it on. it was noisy like before, but now is not anymore. I was talking to guy that does R4 renovation and he said that I should soak it in the oil for some time up to the level of the bearing because holes are too small to leak small amount of oil inside. Now I`m glad how it turned out, but I know for the next time. If I helped someone with my experience, it was my pleasure :D

Back