Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Old sling style seat issues

renoir cigar

Enthusiast
Hi there, nearly have the 65 4L ready to go on the road, (only been about 2 years stuffing around with it...) and I have just resprayed the frames ready for my upholsterer friend to do his magic, couldn't find material pattern like original so went for a similar tone and colour from states company.

The original fabric was so dilapidated that it is somewhat of a mystery figuring out how they were put together, for instance:
1. What is the configuration of the material that loops over the frame on the base sides? We can't see what it attach's to, I rememeber taking it off and thinking how clever it was, but now can't remember!(see attached images), 2. where do the spring/hooks sit on the front seats?
3. Is it still possible to find the elastic rubber ribbing that run vertically down the cushions or something similar. My mate the upholsterer thinks we should just go modern and keep the outside appearance close to the original, use springs instead of the rubber ribbing.
I am curious to know if anyone knows of it still being produced in any shape or form?

Regards
Steven

• IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 256
Any chance of a picture of the seat from further out not fully sure whats what?

Regards,
Andrew

hi Andrew, the first photo has a vinyl strap with an elasticated band on the end of it which holds the seat (base cushion) onto the side rail of the seat frame on the outside rail (door side) but how it is held in place is the mystery...

The spring cable with hook and plastic tube cover I think runs vertically or across the backrest cushions, but where?....
I got the frame with remnants of original cushions in such a state they were positively archaeological and barely recognizable.

The third photo shows the rubber ribbing that runs up the cushions, two on either side per cushion and gives the cushion it's strength, flex and is glued to jute which has the wires running along it which then has the hooks that attach the lengths of the frame.

I have an image from the parts manual but that only indicates rudimentary detail of the set up.

Clear as mud? The upholstery guy is going to find another technique for the rubber and hooks as he thinks a better modern solution would benefit the task. but the spring cable positions and side vinyl connection would be great to solve.

Cheers

Steven

The strap loops around the frame pipe, then a wire hook passes through it (shown on the drawing) and holds it. This is being done by fitting it at right angles over two adjacent upholstery hooks.
If it was still there when you dismantled the seat, you will easily recognize it, it's longer than the hooks that hold the seat upholstery. If not, it's equally easy to make it out of piano wire, its length should be equal to the distance between two holes on the base pipe frame.

Definitely don't fit springs, as the cushion material is too thin and you will feel them through the whole seat! Try to find plain rubber sheet or strip (without fabric armouring inside) at industrial supplies shops.
When trying to refabricate the seats on the Jogging I found a kind of rubber with much higher elasticity than black rubber (it's the brownish stuff on the photo) that worked a treat. I used strips of different thicknesses, thinner for the seat backs.

• r4 seat.JPG
    r4 seat.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_3722.jpg
    100_3722.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 204
P.S.

I guess the spring cable is the reinforcement that goes through the canvas straps, where the hooks are supposed to be (you should have 8 of them for each seat). In fact each hook pulls on this wire, to evenly distribute the load. If you don't fit it,the canvas will rip as soon as you sit on the seat.
Its ends are being held by hooks (again, longer ones) on the seat frame.
On later cars, it was replaced by a pre-formed stiff wire.

Bingo we have a winner! I still have the hook for the sides, just rusty after several months on and off the case,
Do you know of an online source for the rubber Angel?
Steven

Got my front seat back from my upholsterer friend, it kind of did his head in figuring out a suitable approach that maintained the original look and feel, took ample coaxing and prodding to get him across the line, he used webbing in the end, worked a treat, I'll take a photo to show end result next. This shows the clever solution he employed, very confortable and seem very sturdy/durable. An issue here as humidity turns all things rubber to sheed!
Arcrylic webbing will last a long time.

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 103
Back