Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Open Instrument Panel_befor 1983

Grenuj

Enthusiast
I want to repairing curved speedometer needle. Whether anyone opened it vintage instrument cluster??
I must open the cover to be able to access the speedometer. Take out the speedometer case - I can do that.
And I would paint it in red-orange colour...

• florescent red-orange paint.JPG
    florescent red-orange paint.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 6
  • The pointers.JPG
    The pointers.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 6
Take out the speedometer and the front glass is held in place by four small screws. Lift it out carefully as it has a very flimsy plastic gasket behind it for keeping out moisture.

Sorry, I got this wrong : it is two screws at the bottom (one of which is missing in this photo). The top of the metal frame is held on by two bent tabs in the metal. So remove the screws at the bottom, pull the bottom of the metal frame carefully towards you, and it should lift off. The transparent cover simply sits loose in the frame so be careful not to drop it as the frame is removed.

Yes, in fact I have just tried it a few moments ago on a spare speedo that I have. But I also have another (slightly later model) where there are no screws and the metal front is held on by four bent tabs, two on the top, two underneath. In this case you need to lever the front off carefully using a screwdriver.

On Jaeger instruments the glass frame is held with two screws at the bottom, Veglia ones have snap-on frame where two metal tabs have to be prised open in order to remove it.
Be careful with the needle, it snaps easily when you try to bend it back. It's very usual for the needle to bend like this on R4s used on hot climates, and very unusual to see such low mileage! :cool:
There was a Humbrol modelling paint code - fluorescent orange - that replicated original needle colour perfectly. Unfortunately, I have some years to find it, they may have discontinued it.

If it's only the needle you want to replace, no need to remove the instrument panel.
You have to mark the exact position of needle to spindle / aluminum plate and replace it to exactly the same position. As it's almost impossible to do it with the speedometer still in its casing, I recommend you the following way: Disconnect speedometer cable and remove the whole speedometer head by loosening the two screws that hold it on the casing. They are fairly accessible without taking the instrument out.
After you have done with fixing the needle, put it back on the position already marked and only connect speedometer cable. Drive the car and compare indicated speed with actual one (from a GPS device). You can adjust needle position before final assembly of the instrument panel by holding the spindle still and moving the needle as required.

Work in progress.. more slowly than desired.
the needle is pressed.. she didn't break. :cool:

• IMG_9992.JPG
    IMG_9992.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9993.JPG
    IMG_9993.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 8
Did the same thing yust few days ago.
Needle was bende so it touched the housing before i would go 25kph

I pulled of the needle , warme up a piece of metal like 250deg something. And then heated the needle. IMG_20201029_170456.jpgIMG_20201029_172050.jpg

Without heating it was bendable but it bends right back. My Speedo was a snap off type.. btw

done.
p.s. in the meantime i painted dash (DUPLI-COLOR NEXT PARIS BEIGE).

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 5