Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Parts names

Lulu

Hi,
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this but I'm betting some of you guys will have the answer. I'm working on a piece of fiction and the character is driving -- in the US -- a Renault Dauphine from around 1961-1963. At least she is until you tell me differently. It has the engine in the rear. I'm looking for the name of the car part for what covers the engine compartment. And also the car part that covers the luggage compartment, Do I say she "pops the hood" (with the air vents) to get a look at the rear engine? In which case, the part called the "hood" is defined by what covers the engine? Or is the "hood" defined as the part in front? Does she pop the trunk to look at the engine? Also, if it throws a rod, can you see the hole in the engine block pretty easily? Help!

Hi Lulu, as far as I know the hood is always at the front and the trunk at the rear, no matter where the engine is, and I think you will find that the VW Beetle was always known to "have the engine in the trunk". As for an engine throwing a rod, it would be pretty obvious if you looked at the engine, plus there would be oil splattered around the engine compartment, and also a puddle under the car. The Dauphine was built from 56 to 67, so you are right with your chosen years.

Back