Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Picking up new baby this weekend !

SnowWhite

Picking up a 1982 R4 this weekend ... so excited ... I’ve always wanted one ! My OH is a keen mechanic - he has a 50 year old Peugeot 403 pickup and a Citroen Dyane (both ‘almost finished’) and he‘s looking forward to tinkering with the R4. Think we will be coming onto this forum very soon ! We are in SW France.

Very nice R4. You’ll get used to driving her.
These cars are a good way to slow down your life a bit.
Ha .. very true ! I felt comfortable with the gear stick being in a strange place fairly quickly, just the brakes and steering need a bit of practice .. fairly important things! She probably looks better condition in the photos than close up but she’s not bad for 38 years old.

That is a matter of taste. I wouldn’.But if you like the shiny bits. Why not.
It’s your car. You can do whatever you like with her.
My OH thinks it’ll look more classic, I’m not sure, I quite like the grey bumpers .. and on looking at prices of parts it‘ll double the amount she cost !!

The first ones did not have any chrome at all.
I like the grey bumpers and grill better then any chrome parts.
But my own project gets flat black bumpers.
As I said, it’s a matter of taste.

Looks a very nice gar in good nick. The driving slows you down, a change of pace. In the Mini, you step aboard, fiddle with things and get out and you are in a different place. The car turned the world round to where you wanted to be, and you got to when the co ordinates were correct. Tardis like. The Renault is a pile of metal "furniture" that you sit in and make go where you want i to go. Driving is a noun in the mini, whilst its a verb in the R4. For me , I drive down to near Souillac in a VW Passat, and its comfortable and efficient and quiet. But when we are there, we only use the R4. Its a huge part of being there to drive the Renault

Looks a very nice gar in good nick. The driving slows you down, a change of pace. In the Mini, you step aboard, fiddle with things and get out and you are in a different place. The car turned the world round to where you wanted to be, and you got to when the co ordinates were correct. Tardis like. The Renault is a pile of metal "furniture" that you sit in and make go where you want i to go. Driving is a noun in the mini, whilst its a verb in the R4. For me , I drive down to near Souillac in a VW Passat, and its comfortable and efficient and quiet. But when we are there, we only use the R4. Its a huge part of being there to drive the Renault
Nicely put ! I get it ... Yes I have the mini for when I’m zipping around Toulouse, just need to get my confidence up in the R4 for the winding country lanes .. I’ll get there, it’s teamwork for me and her !

Hello SnowWhite, welcome to the forum. Your 4 looks great, and although I like a bit of bling, an original condition car is good too. As has been said, it's all a matter of taste, and you can add or take away bits and bobs as you go. Try to avoid reproduction parts as the quality isn't there, and searching out original bits can be good fun. As for the driving experience, it is different from driving a modern car, but that is the appeal of it, and in rural France just the job. Be prepared for the locals to wave to you as you cruise around in your Quatrelle. Lovely.
Kind regards Brian

Back