Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Project 'Florence'

Weave

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Anna, my bride to be has a R4 TL which we purchased before xmas last year (2008). In fact i got it as a suprise for her.

Nevertheless, the restoration has started and very fortunatley the car i is a solid one. we got her with an MOT, but that lapsed in march and the car has been laid up.

So we have got underway.

The car was originally gold metal , but then was painted beige. I was thinking of returning the car to its original colour, but Anna want it Citron Jaune from the original colour swatches found on here.

The roof has long since departed this world, so we are going to replace it with a custon webasto due to the lack of available original options.

Some of you may be a bit dubious about us drifting away from the originality, but i think its for the best as we can improve the car and ensure Florence has a long future ahead of her.

So here are the pics.

IMAGE_130.jpg

IMAGE_132.jpg

IMAGE_133.jpg

This photo shows the small remedial welding that will be required to renw the lip on this panel.

IMAGE_134.jpg

Getting along nicely.

IMAGE_168.jpg

IMAGE_169-1.jpg

IMAGE_170.jpg

IMAGE_171.jpg

got some spares from Neil's Uncle Tom. Very nice chap.

IMAGE_173.jpg

Got a set of 5 x Renault 6 alloys :cool:

IMAGE_172.jpg

Got a replacement front wing (the one at the front) to replace the rotten one (behind)

IMAGE_174.jpg

I have just noticed that one of Malcolms 4's is called Florence and i wish to explain that no plaigirism has taken place!

She is a TL from 1975 on original Isle of Wight reg.

Was sold new from our local renualt dealer.

What fate befell the luckless Flo' #1?

The luckless Florence got a little too rusty. Yours looks good though, and a bare metal respray is a real treat. Don't forget to properly seal those wings when they go on - bad sealing kills them quickly.

Shame to replace the sunroof - they are very rare in the UK. If the frame is still passible how about getting a trimmer to make a new cover? It's possible to buy the covers, but they are expensive, so cheaper having a trimmer do the work.

IMAGE_175.jpg

IMAGE_176.jpg

Took dash out

IMAGE_177.jpg

Crappy repair to the windscreen rebate - had a bit of metal jammed in with fibre glass! Bodging bastids!

IMAGE_178.jpg

IMAGE_179.jpg

Good luck to your project! It seems that the end result will be nice!

I will agree with Malcolm, since the original roof panel is OK, it will be easy to make the soft top frames (they are symmetrical front and rear) and then have the canvas top made at a trimmer (very easy for him).

edit...Malcolm I just read this, what do you mean that you can buy the cover but it is expensive? Did you find any of them new anywhere?

Thanks Angel,
Regards the roof - its a bit of a nightmare as i don't have either the frames or the orignal canvas, or any clue how it all fits together (if i had any of the bits).

Here's the link to the fabric roof thread Angel :D

I have a roof with the hood frame and fabric attached. It is in poor condition but could be used as a pattern to make a replacement frame. Location isn't very handy, but could send photos and rough dimensions.

Thanks Malcolm, I had forgotten it for sure. Though expensive, it seems to be well made.

Weave, I forgot to tell you that any photos, dimensions etc of my Jogging roof that you may need are available.

Thanks guys - i am determined to sort the roof out properly, but i have to say that at present time is against us, so i will effect a temporary roof fashioned from the old one.

I will tap you lads up for some dimension in due course.

Weave :)

301.jpg

Lemon Yellow is the colour of choice for the actual car.

Opinions?

Also we have the alloywheels to consider too.

I am probably going to have them powder coated.

What colour?

Silver?

Black?

White?

The interior is brown vinyl.

Lemon yellow is a very 70's colour and also correct for 1975 model year. I like it!

This was noted Angel.

We wanted to keep some originality going. The previous owners has painted it beige which sucked. The original colour was gold metal, which whilst very in keeping with the period, was just NOT the colour we wanted to paint the car after all the restoration effort.

I think 'Citron Jaune' will be a rare and a choice enough colour to stand out and remain inoffensive to the purists.

Under he bonnet is all in black following some previious restoration efforts and will remain so. Underneath the arches of the car, we will flash over some stone chip, followed by some top coat. It will therefore be all lemon fresh underneath as well. :)

Any ideas on the wheels guys?

My flatmate Clive plays that game with his daughter. She hits him in the arm every time they come down the drive. I had no idea anyone else did the same.

I quite dislike alloys on R4s...but that's personal taste of course, so I don't have anything in mind about the color, except for their original semi-gloss aluminum. I disagree with the "all black" engine bay too...it looks very nice with bright yellow inner wings/bulkhead. Shame to leave it that way, especially as it is rebuilt now.

I wouldn't use powder coat for the wheels, it doesn't stand up to the punishment for some reason, you'd be better off getting them painted and baked.

Back