Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 1966 750cc. Nice!

Alpineman

Enthusiast
Just sold both my GTAs to a guy from Melbourne Australia. Seems there's a thriving Renault and Alpine enthusiasts scene out there. Thought I'd have a look in cyber land to see what was available. Look what I found! $2500 aus is about £1000 isn't it? Wonder what the shipping costs would be ?! Don't think the pics have pasted but if you want a look go to
http://www.renaultcanberra.asn.au/ and look in classifieds.
----------

7 November 2004 For Sale

Renault 4 1966 -747cc, 3 speed, original 6 volt electrics, folddown rear seat
-full ACT rego until december 2004
-the car is in very good original condition, apart from being resprayed non-original french blue by the last owner
-completely reconditioned brakes - master and wheel cylinders resleeved,
-new brake shoes in july 2004
-new clutch cable september 2004
-new battery january 2004

The car has only a couple of very minor surface rust spots on the body and the only major cosmetic flaw is that the headlining had a few tears in it. Apart from that, it is used as a daily driver and is extremely reliable, an absolute hoot to drive, and easy to work on. It will be sorely missed. It was on display at this year's Battle of Waterloo display, and is featured in this month's Australian Classic Car magazine.

I also have 2 other cars and extensive spares which I need to sell either with "Quatrelle" or separately. Neither of the other cars are running. The white car is very straight, but the engine has been removed, and the red car has some rust but has been converted to 12 volts. Both would be easily restorable or could be used for parts. I have an absolute mountain of spare parts that I need to get rid of as well. Using these parts and the other 2 cars, "Quatrelle" could be kept on the road for decades to come. Spare parts include:
-4 gearboxes (all 3 speeds)
-half a dozen engines (mostly 850cc)
-fueltanks
-5 bonnets (2 brand new)
-doors, quarterpanels (some new)
-radiators
-dashboards
-bumper bars
-seats
-doors
-windscreens
-cables, suspension components, wheels, speedos galore.
There is too much stuff to list, suffice to say one need never buy parts again. The two cars and the spare parts are located in Temora, and transport can easily be arranged.

Price: $2500 *negotiable* for the blue R4 or $3500 *negotiable* for the lot.

For further details, you can contact me at michael.hutchison@anu.edu.au
or on 6125 2670 or 0411 205 457

AFAIK, that blue R4 has been sold. Pics are here if you wish to feast your eyes.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16659&highlight=r4

Also just to clarify. A 1966 model in Australia is actually a 1964 French model. Sales by this time started slowing down, despite initial strong sales of the earlier car. The 1964 model (sliding rear windows in rear door, front seat belt anchorage points, metal dash cladding etc) were introduced as a new model in Australia in early 1966 once the older model kits had been assembled. Around 2800 R4's were assembled in AUS between 1962 and late 1966 when they were discontinued. They were never again officially sold in AUS, apart from a small number of R2106 12V ignition 3 speed vans in 1967.

Also another thing to note, R4's here rust from the inside out, so whilst the rear trailing arm rust is virtually unknown, the floors, chassis rails and floor under the toeboard as well as the front chassis rails rust from the inside out. The chassis rail rust is particularly nasty, as being a strengthened "poor road tropical climate" version they are double skinned, so any rust is usually hidden by the crud that builds up on the side of the chassis rails, the only thing holding the car together is basically the bolt on front crossmember. Floorpan or chassis rail rust here generally means the car ends up being used for parts. Overall though, compared to what I have seen people doing to cars over there, a resto on even the worst R4 here would be a walk in the park to someone in the UK :-)

Back