Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Front Wheel Cylinders

kookee

Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me what the trick is to change the front wheel cylinders. The 10mm bolts are obscured by the top wishbone. Thanks. Kevin

My cars have the early 180mm diameter drum brakes, I found that the brake backing plate has to be removed from the stub axle carrier after the linings and springs are removed. The backplate is held on by four bolts that are semi-awkward to access unless you have a thin 14mm ring spanner, the driveshaft can get in the way. (Note that the hub itself can be left in place).

The bolt heads don't have to be held as they have a square head that butts up to the stub axle carrier. Once the backplate is loose, the hub is turned around to provide a bit more clearance for the wheel cylinder, then the 10mm bolts can be accessed.

Last edited:
Later 200mm drums do not need the backing plate to be removed completely,just joosen the four nuts sufficiently to pull the backing plate outwards in such a way that a 10mm ring spanner slips on the bolt.

Mine is a 69 Plein Air - UK Model. Will have a look at the drum size when I'm under it next week and take it from there. Thanks for your help. Kevin :)

Back