Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

r4 power steering(servo steering)

miki

HI everybody,

Is it possible(reasonable) to build in R4 gtl some kind of servo-power steering?

In theory,everything is possible! A power steering rack is a very simple hydraulic device. A competent machine shop can build the hydraulic rack ,rotary valve and assorted hosing and use a pump from some other car. For the price of an immaculate R4, should I add...
In modern cars that are not equipped as standard with power steering, we use to find a same donor car that had this option, then use all these parts straight from one car to the other. Even then, some fabricating is often needed. But since no Renault 4, 6, or Mk1 5 was originally equipped with power steering, you can't go that way.
Now a question. For what reason will you ever need power steering on a 650 kg vehicle fitted with narrow tyres and already excellent steering system???

Thank you, Angel
One and only reason for power steering is my old frend with spinal(neck) pain,who "doesn't want to change his beautiful R4 for some new plastic peace of ...."

If you want Power steering the easiest route would be to fit a mk1 R5 1400 engine and 5 speed box at the same time. This will have all the brackets, stronger duplex timing chain and different (longer) cam, special double pulley etc You can use a mk1 R5 P/S rack which will fit but needs the R4's steering column extending a couple of inches and you'll probably need R4 track rod ends too.

The 5 speed conversion isn't particularly hard - it'll take 2-3 days to do properly. Once that is done, it would be pretty simple to fit the rack and plumb it all in properly.

ah but only the 5tx had P.A.S quite rare really ,depending on what country you are looking in
(not strictly true was opotional on mk1 5 auto )

I'd agree - find a Mk1 Renault 5 (before 1983) and use the power steering rack and pump from that. If the Renault 4 engine doesn't have the attachments for the pump then the R5 engine will fit in a GTL.

For the Renault 5 steering rack you might need to alter the brackets on the chassis.

The Renault 4 gearbox would fit the Renault 5 engine, and the 4 speed gearbox is the easier option. Took me weeks to fit the 5 speed box (have you got photos of the quicker conversion entwistlecymru?).

Presumably fifteen years on, one the steering column attached electric systems would be more appropriate (and easier notwithstanding the possible lack of space under the dash)?

Back