Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 spares, what should I do?

Andy Sherlock

Enthusiast
Is it possible anyone could help me decide what spare R4 parts I should keep and which I should discard while clearing my garage out? My problem is storage space and some stuff will have to go.

Having stripped a 1982 Renault 4GTL down to use as a donor car I have lots of spares, some serviceable and some not (but maybe useful for patterns). I have kept all mechanical parts, interior and trim, four very rusty doors and rear door, wheels, suspension, electrics etc. In a nutshell, I have kept all but chassis/floor panel, body shell, wings and bonnet.

Knowing what parts are readily available and what parts are hard to come by may be a good way of deciding what to keep and what not. I would like to discard those parts that are not worth keeping and those that are still readily available, and cheap enough to buy. I also believe that parts specific to right hand drive cars are more scarce than those for the left hand drive cars but I don’t know if this is actually so.

Can anyone advise me at all so I can chose carefully what I keep and what I don’t.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi there,

I've found suspension bits to be very expensive... hold on to them! Bits of rubber hose for the engine and window seals seems to be hard to find (only available in bulk ), but i am new to this so... anyone? :?

I'd get rid of rusty doors, but keep the windows just in case. Bumpers and things are handy for crashes. I don't tend to hold on to interiors (unless there is suitable garage roof space) but if the interior is any good it's probably worth putting on eBay.

I hang on to engines and gearboxes, suspension and brakes, and everything else is reasonably small so that stays too.

It's a shame to scrap good stuff. Why not bundle the bits you don't need onto eBay and see if anyone else wants them.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know of a web site where I can log on and see what parts are available and their price?

Or of any other media that tells me the same.

Back