Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 van needed cash waiting, anything up to £1500

hoylz

Enthusiast
Hi guys

Am on the search for a van, ideally f4, but f6 would be considered.

Lhd no problem.
£1500 cash available.
Travel uk wide.
Restoration no problem, no complete scrappers though!!!

Have been looking at importing one from france, but am new to the process, and wouldnt know how to go about it.

I know an import would need carte grise and controle technique, but could any one advise if they have experience of this. Would like to fly over and drive back, would anyone see an issue with this??

I know about getting it moted over here and registered, was just wondering if it was relatively simple.

I would prefer a van located in uk, however would be willing to import if someone could advise, or anyone has a contact in france possibly.(maybe after more than one over longer term!!!)

Any advise or help on the subject would be great.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Hoylz

Wow a semi automatic floor change model, must be super rare!;)

Haha, very coincidental???!!!! Timing etc. Looking on eBay every day for months, nothing, and then this?.?.Thought I hadn't seen a dash/ gear linkage in a 4 like that!!!!! Looks like a bit of a dodgy paint job, but that's my bag so not too difficult to sort. Can anyone advise on the embossed floor panel behind the seats, is this a welded panel??? Gap looks quite big between that and the floor on the passenger side??!!!

Regards
Hoylz

That panel is moveable, it fills in what would be thr footwell on a car. Took it out of my van when I fitted rear seats.
Thats the least of your worries!

The embossed panel is tool box fitted to all vans,but i dont think it is a mid seventies more like an eighties model.

Very odd. If you click on the link I provided (above) you will now (5th October) see that the photo of the "floor change" has now been deleted and replaced by a "correct" one (for a R4). The vendor obviously has more than one Frog Hulk and had posted the wrong photos (the "Revisions" box shows that photos have been deleted/substituted).

incidentally the van number plate is from Département 87 which is Haute-Vienne, in the middle of France. So it comes (in first instance) from somewhere where there wasn't a salt-laden airstream which might be good news for the state of the chassis.

Thanks very much for the info people, i have a r4 rhd, but am new to the layout of the vans.

Thanks benchseat, dont know how you found that out but good to know.
i have contacted seller for more info, and i think this maybe the reason for the addition/ modification of the photos (asked for engine shots etc) so will have a look at the response tonight and possibly go have a look at weekend.
havent researched yet, but could the chassis plate tell us what size engine it is???
Got to try and look past the paint for dodgy spots!!! so if you can see areas of concern on photos, let me know so i can investigate further when i get to the vehicle.

Many thanks for the advice so far.
Regards
hoylz

Engine plate tells the engine size but it is 1108 ,large rad in front of x bar,may even have discs on front as can not see h/brake lever under dash,you need to check rear longerons where the torsion bars bolt on.The seller has about 7/8 cars on e_pay.
Good luck

An Jonigel says, it's 1108ccs. The parts book says that there is a floor handbrake operating on the rear wheels (dash handbrake only fitted to vehicles up to no. 15200 and this is higher — see below), and disc brakes on the front.

One last point : it's not a middle-seventies vehicle as described on the eBay listing. The engine plate shows it to be a type R210B, which was introduced in 1983. Furthermore, the number on the second line of the plate — 00940920 — which possibly should read C0940920 — implies it is very late-plate indeed (the C prefix only came in in 1985 and by 1988 the numbering had only got up to C043879. At (say) 15000 vans per year this would put it at about 1991).

On the other hand the chrome mirrors and wheels definitely are seventies. On the other hand again, the speedo (goes up to 160K) is a 1980s item. Slightly odd : the easy explanation is the the wheels and mirrors are a bit of retro chic.

That looks like a fairly late F4 as others have said. You'd probably need to have a good look at it to get an idea. There could be a nice van lucking under that paint or alternatively it could be a right horror.

Incidentally, you're in Lancashire - not your R4 that's for sale in Clitheroe I take it?

Hi lobster
its not mine for sale, ours is in storage until i do something with it, need a van for business at the moment so this takes priority.

Stumbled across mine really 1982 rhd uk car 4l 845cc with full history 42000 miles so want to do a resto to warrant the (apparent???) rarety of it.(maybe someone could enlighten me on this??!!)

Thanks for all the help on this, 2 people are going to see the van this weekend, which i am unable to do, so will see if its still available next week.

If there are any more f4's out there for sale i would love to know.
thanks again
regards
hoylz

Hi stuart

He said a few people have been to look at it, but i havent had the chance myself.
He Said one guy just walked away, so not hopefull on a genuine advert.
Gonna try to get chance to go over this week suspect the paint might be hiding a few things, as well as being right at the top of the valuation mark for something that needs so much work, im not entirely convinced!!!!

Will let you know if i go have a look.

Regards
Hoylz

Hi Hoylz,
I have a LHD 845cc (French registered) white F4 van in France. Was considering bringing it back at some point.
I have had it running and driven it around the village, so it's a goer and a good project. Had the brakes up and running with bleeding through, but pedal went to the floor again the next time I went back to it, 3 months later.
Suspect master cylinder, think I have a spare one for it. Paint work is original, but needs a bit of going over.
It needs an ignition elec' problem sorting, but it runs fine with 2 switches I have temporarily fitted!;)
One hinge required for rear lift flap (above rear door).
The original seats were just about wrecked, but reworkable if you wanted originality, but I had obtained some 1/2 leather seats I am part way through adapting to fit (really comfy and practical).
Carte Gris was never presented, but I have a receipt from the retailer, which he insisted would suffice if I wanted to register it in France. From previous experience, registering in UK is very simple compared with in France, with or without doc's! In general, van is very solid and worth the effort, engine and box are excellent.
ALSO: I drove a Land Rover back from France that had been stood 8 years!!
Once insured, it is legal in france if English registered, but once you get to UK, you need to trailer it or trade plate' the vehicle to take it into UK. Very complicated, not worth the hassle, unless you want a real adventure!!!!
If you are interested, let me know and I will send Pictures etc. Would need to get around £850 to £900 for it.
I can get it home, but may need a contribution towards import travel

Registering in the UK is very simple ....... with or without docs ????
In my experience, that statement is half true.
Registering in the UK is reasonably simple with complete, original documentation.

Without docs. 4-6 months. Cauchemar, as they say in France

I may be selling my F4 van, LHD 850cc ex South of France now UK registered and on the road. It owes me slightly over your budget of £1500. Front wheel cylinders and shoes replaced rock solid underneath.

• IMG_3908.JPG
    IMG_3908.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 2
Hi Jeepman....could you send me details please? Also i wanted to ask if the gear stick is always from the floor on the vans rather than the dash like the cars?

Also i wanted to ask if the gear stick is always from the floor on the vans rather than the dash like the cars?

Van gearstick is exactly the same as R4 cars ie it comes through the dash rather than floor mounted.

Back