Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 TS Cup Car

jonclancy

Enthusiast
Hi All,

Greetings from North Wilts. I’m a lurker on the forum, and find it a friendly trove of information. Brilliant!

I have acquired a R5 TS Cup Car from a friend who had it in storage for many years. The last time it turned a wheel in anger was in the 2004 R5 Celebration Race at Thruxton.

I want to re-commision the car for a bit of track-day and hill-climbing fun, and it’ll need some TLC.

Firstly, the brakes keep seizing on. I suspect due to either the flexible pipes being shot, or the calipers/shoes sticking. I’ll need to replace all the rubber in the braking system, so was going to replace the master cylinder (seen NOS for around £20), rear slaves and get the fronts refurbished. There is a servo, too, and that’ll need attention, no doubt.

Just wondering who would be the recommended parts suppliers, please? Not sure about using a NOS master cylinder, unless it has been properly stored and well-lubed with rubber grease. Making sure the brakes are reliable is a priority.

With the brakes done, it’ll get a full service and new battery before we try to start if for the first time. It’s had oil down the bores and turns over fine. There is plenty of surface rust, but overall seems a sound car bearing a few battle scars.

Any pointers in the right direction for the right spares gratefully received.

Many thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon
I have a few Mk 1 5 spares for sale (and am not far from you):

https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/renault-5-mk-1-parts-for-sale.9035/

The master cylinder is a Valeo 350454, equivalent to Renault 7701348206. It's still bagged and boxed:

20200309_153719.jpg

I might have a NOS pair of Bendix caliper pistons too. Does your car have the 2-piece Bendix calipers?

It's worth trying mister-auto.co.uk for hoses - they're reliable and fast.

Firstly - pictures please :)

Then down to business. Bendix calipers do seize up on these fairly easily so thats probably the first thing worth looking at. That said, if its been off the road sixteen years then its worth giving everything a going over anyway.

For parts, Franzose, Melun Retro and mister-auto all worth looking at. Theres not that much thats not available one way or another.

NOS alternator (external regulator type), does it fit also to a R4(1123), my ex is Ducellier 7597A.

brake servo now available from auxal.fr
2 types of bendix calipers early are 2 piece steel alloy 77 onward usually steel
these seize worse than girling option
different brackets to suit though
most parts easily available from supplies mentioned but catalogues not always accurate on exact part needed
feel free to message me if stuck
lots of parts interchange with r4 as I expect you realise

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I will attach some pics tomorrow. Been rushing around last couple of days and it’s dark now! Tried to take some photos, but...

I have been searching for the chassis number imprint. Nothing in the boot floor, and none visible under the bonnet, so I may have to remove the race seat. It’s probably going to be replaced anyway. That harnesses are well-expired, but in decent condition. I may pop both in the passenger side for track days and instruction etc.

The TSL sheets are HERE

And the Scrutineer’s Cert is attached.

4064AF49-123E-4530-89D0-E6FC90BA07FB.jpeg

Cheers

looks almost like a normal format R4 engine and gearbox but Im puzzled how the gear linkage works? What size engine capacity?

Very green!

Not looked at the gearbox linkage, but was wondering that myself...

I think the engine is 1400, but will need to find the number to see.

Does it have Bilstein dampers and thicker torsion / anti roll bars?

Back