Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 TX On the Road At Last

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I took the Renault 5 for an MOT this morning. I decided half of the things still to sort out were due to the car sitting for the last 6 years, and the car needed to be driven to see if they would go away. Most of the problems have gone away or improved.

I think the gearbox noise was simply gear rattle due to hunting at idle. I'm going to try to fix the hunting instead of changing the gearbox. The car feels a bit lean on part throttle and the secondary choke jets keep on blocking and it might all be related. More likely all different problems which will make fault finding more tricky. I've filled up with 99 octane (Tesco are doing it and it seems to work) which has helped a fair bit.

The ride and the seats make it feel like a big car to drive - really comfy, but the cornering feels flat and the steering very precise. I don't know why modern cars can't do that. My custom exhaust is way too loud. Booms on the motorway.

Not too much to do before it becomes a useable car.

motd.jpg

R5 is cornering fabulous!
I was always surprised with drivers in front of me (when i was in my R5) that need to brake before corner.
All i needed to do is take off throttle at right moment and put the car in right line throw corner, and that was it.
It was like on rails.
So fun to drive!.

I've been fiddling this morning. The hunting at idle was due to petrol dripping from the primary choke jet onto the top of the throttle butterfly. It was doing that because the idle mixture screw was screwed fully in. Idle is perfect with the screw 1.5 turns out and the popping on over-run has stopped. The secondary still keeps blocking despite a good blow out with an air gun.

The exhaust mount touching the wheelarch liner accounted for a lot of the booming. The foul between the air filter and bonnet stay and the failed cold air/ hot air flap didn't help, but oddly removing the cold air hose helped more. It might be better with a porous cold air hose.

Last edited:
Bravo! Is yours the Weber IDR progressive carb? I've been rebuilding mine and I found some interesting parts just floating about inside of it.

I've got the Weber 32 DIR. I've ordered a rebuild kit for it to see if that helps the lean primary. Do the bits floating around in yours look important?

I'm getting to the bottom of the exhaust boom. There isn't enough space at the back to have a long enough silencer or tailpipe. Improved a lot when I attached an extension to the tailpipe but I think it needs another silencer further forward like they originally had.

I meant to type DIR but it came out IDR. IDK why! In any case, that is the important question isn't it. "Are these parts important?" Well, both are tiny and brass. One is a washer that couldn't be more than 3-4mm outside diameter. The other is almost like a washer but looks a bit like a hat, or sleeve with a brim on it. It also is very small.

Back