Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 Weird Starter Motor

renault_5CAMpus1.4

Yo people i havnt posted in a while but i was wondering if i could have abit of help here goes

I had a dodgy starter motor im not exactly shit hot when it comes to cars but i was told by 5 different people as i didnt consult just one that my problem was a starter fault hmmmm

So i bought a brand new starter Motor i thought i can get this back on easy which i did had to undo the heat sheild but alas it went on and i wired the 2 wires up i was beaming

Went to turn the key Nothing but a clicking sound i was furious to say the least i thought its probably the battery so i charged the thing over night next day put it on nothing again same thing just clicking sound it wasnt clicking before i changed the starter for this new one it didnt do anything before???

Have i found a new problem lol im just abit baffeld new starter and charged battery ??? please help im passing my test soon and i really need to get on the road and not stuck in some layby calling the AA

Sounds like electricity isn't getting to or from the starter motor correctly.

It's worth checking all of the electrical connections in the system - make sure the battery terminals are clean and screwed on correctly, check the earth strap from the engine, and check the big thick wire going to the nut on the back of the starter is screwed on correctly. Might be worth charging up the battery just in case it was supplied a bit flat (though normally they come fully charged).

I'd be surprised if a brand new starter comes ready supplied with a fault (they are normally tested), but it is possible. If all the bolts and connections are in the right place and you've checked all the other wires then it probably is a faulty starter.

ok

ok i had another look today whilst i was under the car on the drivers side where the battery is i found 2 wires hanging down with like L shape connectors with holes in any idea what these are and where they go some one else took my starter motor off and now im fuming cos i think its this

its 2 thick black wires i traced them back best i could they look as thou they go back to the battery but they dont reach to my starter motor so they cant fit on that can they???

some one said to me at work check my ground earth i was like huh ???

lol thanks for the help man apperciate it

Reckon you've found the problem. One of the wires is probably supposed to screw onto the positive battery terminal and will go to the brass nut on the back of the starter motor. The other could be an earth (negative terminal of the battery) or alternator (positive terminal).

Best to trace the wires to where they go, use a volt meter to confirm you have the right wire before connecting them up.

EDIT - might have misread your post. If the wires come from the positive of the battery then be very careful - they'll be live. Disconnect the earth on the battery and then check them out. Does the starter motor have anything screwed into the brass nut at the back?

Thinking about this - the Renault 4 has two thick black wires that meet in a single connector. One end goes to the negative battery terminal and the other to the gearbox. Can't remember where the third one goes. What year is your car? If you can find out where all the thick wires come and go from we mioght be able to work out where the missing one should fit.

Back