Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5A/oilpressure/p**** pants/ etc etc

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Finally delivered alu-top for pressure-testing skimming plus check/regrinding of valves/seats etc.etc.
Found to be ok (No leaks) so gave go-ahead. Head was spot-on orig.thickness so haven't been skimmed b4..
Squish-band inside head and same area on pistons showed severe signs of predetonation,and as 123 ignition
now available All complete for my engine order is in..

2 of the push-rods had easily spotted marks approx.1 -1/2 " from lower end.Didn't look like normal wear and no
corresponding marks were found inside "tunnel" so am thinking last owner have pinched them when knocking
head off sideways (?)
-I rolled them on a glassplate and they were all true but will probably instal new ones (all) to be safe as poss.
Will get new liners/pistons rings,cross-pins and all necessary bearings

I'm a bit surprised that oilpressure as low as 1,5bar is pretty normal on these engines, talked to a guy in France
that's making a seemingly nice living in prepping R5 GT for fast road and track-racing etc.but also has a good
knowledge of "ours"
He reckons there are Only a few oilfilter brands that is really suitable for these A-engines The ultimate would
be Mecafilter which he tells me filters very well,but gives an added +0,8bar to the somewhat low 1,5bar.
I don't know-just relaying this info.. (Easily enough to check if you have a oil-pressure gauge I guess)

Don't know at what rpm 1,5b could or would be considered "normal"but guess when revving it to it's stated
redline of 8000rpm(!) it should be up around the 3-5 number or am I peeing my pants for no good reason here??
(My Alpine/Gta V6 -turbo ,although very different engine ,is at 5-6bar at just about any speed that makes it move
and never shown any adverse effects thereof.....

Hope you all have a good week-end ! :waving: -R.

Hi Reidar it seems you are cooking up another hot motor for Roffen. I have'nt been on the forum for years but it is great to read your posts. I don't have a renault anymore and have a motor from your favourite manufacturer 'RENOLVO'. I still hate typing two fingered, Aggggghhhhh!

Back