Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Re-torqueing head bolts

laxeian

Enthusiast
Planning to adjust the tappet clearances on my 4 over the weekend, (have all info from iirc harborseals very informative post from valve adj thread), looking at my engine it very much looks as if the previous owner has fitted a new head/water pump etc. in the not too distant past, the ally is just to new looking in relation to bellhousing etc, so while the rocker covers off seems worthwhile to check head bolt torques for peace of mind. The engines a 1108cc ( 85 fasa F6).
Could anybody on here tell me what they are meant to be torqued to and if there is a required sequence for re-torqueing?
Thanks Ian

Thanks Andy,
That makes it straightforward, my old torque wrench is in imperial..;)

Planning to adjust the tappet clearances on my 4 over the weekend, (have all info from iirc harborseals very informative post from valve adj thread), looking at my engine it very much looks as if the previous owner has fitted a new head/water pump etc. in the not too distant past, the ally is just to new looking in relation to bellhousing etc, so while the rocker covers off seems worthwhile to check head bolt torques for peace of mind. The engines a 1108cc ( 85 fasa F6).
Could anybody on here tell me what they are meant to be torqued to and if there is a required sequence for re-torqueing?
Thanks Ian
I think it's not recommended to re tighten head bolts when using 'composite head gaskets' ? am I wrong

Read on a thread ( cant seem to find exact one ATM) that they should be re-torqued after @500km, which is less than the previous owner had covered from reinstatement ITV until my purchase ( I went well over the 500km just driving it home!) just thought re-torquing before adjusting valves would be a good idea...If its a no-no really dont want to cause problems trying to fix them!
Was due to do this tommorow so very interested in replies...

Any advice anyone?

Personally I would check the head bolts laxeian. I will certainly be doing that, and the valve clearances on my newly rebuilt engine at about 500miles.

The head gasket does not "see" miles travelled, but rather cycles of heating-cooling-heating. So the recommended 500 miles before re-torqueing are just a guideline based on an average mileage per day. So, I would recommend retorqueing the head for your peace of mind and adjusting the valve clearances afterwards.
I can recall three (non-R4) cars that blew a head gasket shortly after they changed owners, because nobody told them they had undergone head overhaul immediately before being sold.

Thank you both for advice,
Didnt get round to doing work as anticipated until a late start this afternoon, removed rocker cover to see this:-E2435D42-6235-46CE-80A1-25A4BB193A81.jpeg
As anticipated, the head looks very new (result TBH), checking torque of headbolts just gave me 10 clicks and no movement, found that quite reassuring, also checked the tightness of the rocker assembley bolts in relation to head before getting ready to adj. tappets.
The inside of the rocker cover again looks in good order, will give a thorough clean before refitting, heres a pic of it as it came off, the clean ‘streaks’ where there when removed, again an indication that its been worked on pretty recently.
Then got busy with a grinder and turned a 4 mm soket into a dedicated for 4 4 mm adjustment tool, should of got round to this before but doesn’t time just seem to fly when your tinkering with these cars?

9A1D08B4-A992-40B6-8847-C34B24F2CFF8.jpeg
So its tappets tomorrow now instead of rushing things today...

• 792C422E-25A6-4DEB-915B-DCD903F5EFDC.jpeg
    792C422E-25A6-4DEB-915B-DCD903F5EFDC.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 3
Tappets adjusted, engine sounding a lot smoother, soundproofing still effective, now looking for a Rolls-Royce 12v clock to give me some cabin noise :laughing:

Back