Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear torsion bar bushes

NickoJ

Enthusiast
Hi all I'm looking for info on how the rear torsion bars a located on my 1985 GTL, where they sit in the trailing arm, as my bushes need replacement.
The axle is removed from car and is to have a complete refurb.
I can appreciate that the splined end will take some persuasion that may well involve my mate's oxy acetylene kit but is the bushed end also splined?
Also where the outer mountings fit onto the trailing arms do they rotate allowing for suspension travel or is the rotational force taken up entirely by the bonded rubber within the mount.
Any help greatly appreciated Thanks.

Torsion bars are splined on both ends, one end fits in the splined part of the opposite wheel inner suspension mount and the other in splines in the trailing arm itself.
Both inner and outer bushes are of the "Flexibloc" type, that is, they consist of bonded rubber between two steel sleeves. They are also pressed in both the arm and their housings, and this means that arm motion is performed only by stretching of the rubber part.
This causes some important points to be watched when removing/installing them:
- They can only be removed after destroying the rubber part (usually by burning it) and pressing / cutting the remaining sleeves.
- They must be installed at a specific position in relation to the trailing arm, so that they don't get stressed and fail too early.
- The inner bush must also be aligned regarding the outer one, otherwise fitting the arm on the car will be a nightmare.
Try to obtain the Revue Technique Automobile or the official workshop manual for the early cars, there are detailed procedures on replacing the suspension bushes, and setting the ride height afterwards. However, they don't deal with fitting the later type of inner mounting, as fitted on your car, so you have to improvise a method of finding the right position. We had discussed it here at some point.
I think it's the most involved job on a Renault 4!

Thanks Angel for the response further investigation has revealed that they are splined both ends I have the Peter Russel manual that came with the car but there is not a lot of info on my version but I expect to come up with a solution probably after a lot of trial and error. I am trying to determine if I can salvage my trailing arms which need welding, It' been suggested that I obtain a second hand unit but so far not been able to.
Are the after market outer mountings any good?

Hi again I have come across a site that purports to make available a download version of the R4 workshop manual for my car for £9.95 anyone know if this is likely to be any good? It comes via www.downloadworkshopmanuals.com
Thanks in anticipation Nick.

I have some manuals on english, and french and crotian. Believe one is same to one on link.

Give me some email address and i can send you list what i have so you can chose.

Hi Petak thanks for your response my email is nrtjones@gmail.com
Also do you think I could find a replacement for my damaged trailing arm? I have now stripped down my rear axle assembly having carefully noted how things fit. My local engineering firm can make and weld a new end for me but they think a second hand one might be better as the remaining casting on mine is very thin.

• IMG_20200826_125653.jpg
    IMG_20200826_125653.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks Andy what a shame the new one isn't for the right side still it shows that they are about..
Yes Petak Ihave your email and am in process of replying.

Back