Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Recently back into R4 ownership . .

Dave_Pt

. . after a 38 year break.
Had a red TL (or GTL, can't fully remember now) in early 80's in a working gap year from college.
Last year purchased a 1990 GTL in Portugal as a bit of a project and something to do when wife is relaxing.
Bodywork is best described as "textured" with every panel having some sort of dinge/dent and the white paint is not the same on all panels. So not massively attractive, but he'll stay that way as I don't want him to stand out as being in any way pristine.
Have been working my way through suspension and general mechanicals over the second half of last year - all front suspension/bearings/brakes removed and overhauled/replaced. A few improvements in engine bay - most important of which was fitting new gear selector bushed which had been replaced with sections of hose pipe. Next visit out there will see me replacing rear wheel bearings and rear shoes.

However - to pass Portuguese annual test I need a rear fog light switch. Anyone out there know where these are available from (I'll post on the "wanted" section later if no-one jumps in on this thread).
Also - one of the tailgate hinges is showing signs of cracking. Are these available (or will I have to make a new one myself).

Anyway, my greetings to you all.
Dave.

Welcome to the forum, Dave.
Your car sounds great. I can't help you with the parts, but there are some real experts here that I'm sure will be able to advise. We like pictures here, so do share some if you can :)

. . after a 38 year break.
Had a red TL (or GTL, can't fully remember now) in early 80's in a working gap year from college.
Last year purchased a 1990 GTL in Portugal as a bit of a project and something to do when wife is relaxing.
Bodywork is best described as "textured" with every panel having some sort of dinge/dent and the white paint is not the same on all panels. So not massively attractive, but he'll stay that way as I don't want him to stand out as being in any way pristine.
Have been working my way through suspension and general mechanicals over the second half of last year - all front suspension/bearings/brakes removed and overhauled/replaced. A few improvements in engine bay - most important of which was fitting new gear selector bushed which had been replaced with sections of hose pipe. Next visit out there will see me replacing rear wheel bearings and rear shoes.

However - to pass Portuguese annual test I need a rear fog light switch. Anyone out there know where these are available from (I'll post on the "wanted" section later if no-one jumps in on this thread).
Also - one of the tailgate hinges is showing signs of cracking. Are these available (or will I have to make a new one myself).

Anyway, my greetings to you all.
Dave.
Dave
There's a foglight switch - and a lot of other interesting stuff - on this page:
Which part of the tailgate hinge is cracking?
Is this page any help?

Malcolm,
many thanks for those links - will definitely be passing the first one on to a fellow R4 owner in Portugal (as they're a/. locals and hence fluent and b/. have a whole heap of stuff that they need).

Unfortunately it's not the part of the hinge that attaches to the rear door that's cracking. It's the part that's welded to the rear of the car. The part in the link, from memory, is the bit attached to the door and then fasted to the car with a roll-pin on similar.
(Apologies if I am wrong in that statement - but I've not seen my R4 in Portugal for 5 months now and my aged memory is getting fuzzy).

Dave

Back