Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renaul 5 levcar 1985

Marktinniswood

Hi my Renault runs like a dream but since it’s last service at Renault it has developed a leak under the front when left in the garage
also I can smell petrol in the cab ? Through the vent help ?

Hi Mark

Could you specify whether its an oil/coolant/fuel leak which would narrow it down a bit. If the leak is right upfront, just the otherside of the front bumper and its coolant, investigate radiator and top and bottom radiator hoses for a leak. If its oil, if right at the front of the vehicle, probably gearbox oil leak, gear oil has a distinct smell, very different to engine oil. If the leak is slightly further back towards the center/to the back of the engine bay then it is probably engine oil, if you have just had it serviced, it might be coming from the sump plug, they are known for leaking. However, it could also be coming from other sources (sump gasket, fuel pump, crankshaft oil seal etc). You mentioned smell of fuel. Once again a number of sources (carburettor, fuelpump, fuel pipe, fuel filter). Narrow down the search for us by identifying the wet stuff.

I assumed you have a mark 1 Renault 5 (up to circa 1984-1985) with an inline engine in my explanation above and not a new shape Renault 5 with a transverse engine. As a 1985 it is on the cusp from old shape to new shape.

Back again, just noticed the words 'lev car' in your heading! 'Le Car' this would be the old shape, therefore my explanation fits your model!

Back