Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Super

ian_froggo

Enthusiast
I'm very proud to be the new owner of the Renault 4 super, now christened as Henri, as rescued by the Gresham Flyer. Lovely bloke is Mark and you can see he made a cracking job of the brakes.
I have decided that as Henri is so good, he should be treated to a gentle re-spray after I get him to next base with a new MOT and English registration.
My jobs so far have been to strip the starter and after a really good clean-up, he starts on the switch (no ignition key here).
I also removed the dash and wiper rack and motor as the spindles were seized solid. After gentle heat, the spindles tapped out easily and following a thorough de-rusting and good greasing, the rack has gone back together and 'hey presto,' we have working wipers.
I have ordered a Haynes manual, so will puzzle through what it needs to make the indicators work. The silencer was shot, but I'm collecting a new exhaust system in Leeds tomorrow.
I do need wiper blades and also to sort the headlamps (yellow 6-volt bulbs not friendly to mot testers) and a new set of tyres. I will keep updating progress to getting the MOT.
Does anybody know where I can get wiper blades, windscreen and door window rubbers from?
By the way, Henri now lives in Scarborough.

Ian, Yellow headlights are NOT illegal. Believe me. I wouldn't have them if they were. Are yours adjustable to dip the correct way?

Ian, Yellow headlights are NOT illegal. Believe me. I wouldn't have them if they were. Are yours adjustable to dip the correct way?

As Paul says, yellow headlamp bulbs ARE NOT illegal in the U.K. (& I'm an MOT tester!) Keep it 6 volts, keep it original and let's see some pictures!!

Yellow headlights may not be illegal but the beam they throw is pretty feeble. It is possible to get white halogen 6-volt bulbs. I'm sorry I can't recall the name of the supplier but I definitely obtained some in my motorbiking days. They may not be authentic but they are safer! You can always keep the yellow bulbs for show.

As Paul says, yellow headlamp bulbs ARE NOT illegal in the U.K. (& I'm an MOT tester!) Keep it 6 volts, keep it original and let's see some pictures!!
Thanks to you both. The headlights do have a little tab at the bottom and I believe they are to change the dip.
From what you say, I shall attempt the mot (when I've sorted a few other points) and take it from there. I really want to keep it completely original, complete with patches on the seats, but will go for a respray as the paint has worn through. My daughter wants it to take her to her wedding in May, but wants it shiny. I shall post pictures. It is in amazing condition and will be the oldest registered in the UK by 4 years when I get it there.

The tab at the bottom of the headlights is not to change the dip direction but to raise/lower the beam according to what load you're carrying.

If your car is fitted with French headlights it will fail the UK MOT as the dipped beam will slant in the wrong direction for the UK i.e. to the right. Some MOT testers will accept a piece of black insulating tape on the right-hand side of the glass to minimise this (Member ID Andrew4Renaults please confirm). But you really need a pair of universal headlights. These have a small plastic tab below the bulb socket : the tab slides back and forth so that one way is drive-on-the-left dipped, the other way drive-on-the-right (it locates the bulb at slightly different angles). UK R4s were all fitted with this type so it should not be too difficult to find some secondhand.

Moves are afoot to reduce the MOT exemption age for cars to 30 years, so yours might before long be exempt (as will mine).

Ian it's a beautiful car so glad you will enjoy along with the rest of us. Some gentle restoration will be most fitting preserving some or most of the original patina. You're a lucky guy I'm sure many of us would love to own Henri so we all look forward to following your thread and drooling over photos . It's a great forum and amazing for keeping up momentum

Glad it gone to a good home, it looked perfect in the pictures. But then I love that just found look, think long and hard before you paint it!
Melun Retro passion do the door seals and I just might have some wipers, if they don't stock them as well.
I have broken an early car years ago and have a scrap 1964 one for bits as well, so keep in touch if your stuck.
Stuart.

Thanks benchseat for the advice about the lights. (manual still not arrived). I will need a pair of headlights then. Did the later R4's have the same diameter lights?
I bought my new full exhaust yesterday and it was the last silencer box the chap had. The pipes came in 4 pieces, with a bend to exit on the UK drivers side instead of the left. Now should I repair the original side pipe and continue to exit on the left, or just change to the UK side? Only £70 for the lot. Good value I thought.
Thanks Stuart for your info. I need wiper blades and will post a picture of them tomorrow. I also need a spare wheel so I can get 5 new Firestones at £25 each. By the way, what are the headlamps like on your broken 64 R4?
More pickies shortly

And where are you getting the tyres from? Mine look like new but are over 10 years old now so thinking of replacements...

The headlights are the same diameter throughout.

About a year ago my LHD 845cc R4 holed-through its exhaust outlet pipe. I gave Renault UK the part number and they sourced an identical replacement (outlet on the left) from France. If you want to keep the car as original as possible you might like to consider this. Another good supplier of R4 bits (they will certainly go the full nine yards if you need something from France) are Lifestyle Renault in Tunbridge Wells.

What you really need is a copy of Renault Parts Book PR 1104 which gives the latest (i.e 1980s onwards) numbers for parts. The original 1972 part number will have been long superseded but if the part didn't change design (which in the case of the outlet pipe it didn't) then a later number enables the supplier to trace the number trail to the current one.

Found these wiper blades for you if you still need them...View attachment 17244
Sorry for my tardiness Stuart. I would love the wipers. They are the correct part for Henry. How much do you want for them?
I've been fairly busy stripping the tailgate down and found the back window runner was shot. I've taken it to a local engineering company and they're making me a new one. Then the window will work hopefully.

And where are you getting the tyres from? Mine look like new but are over 10 years old now so thinking of replacements...
Mytyres.co.uk do 135 80 r13 Falken for £28 each and Uniroyals for £31 each. The R3 looks wonderful. Not seen one of them on the road ever I don't think.

How does a tenner, inc post sound?
Message me your address.
Cheers...
First class Stuart. My address is 176 Scalby Road, Scarborough, YO12 6TB
Ian Froggett the name
If you want to email me ian_froggo@yahoo.co.uk and let me have your full name, sort code and account number, I'll transfer the cash, or if you want payment any other way, let me know.
What is your address as my daughter has offered to collect a spare wheel from you and obviously make appropriate payment.
Thanks Stuart

Back