Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Wanted!

Son

Enthusiast
Hello All,

I used to own a Renault 4 a while ago and had to let it go as I was a poor student at the time and couldn't afford to restore it. I have regretted it ever since. Still love the car, and have decided to look out for one. It needs to be in really good condition, which i know will be difficult to find and ideally light blue , please can anybody help?

Son, Staffs

a light blue one just sold on ebay 2 days ago

always worth asking the seller in case teh buyer pulls out

Thanks Guys, I have found a lovely R4 thats now sat on my drive. I'm relying on this forum to be a big help as I haven't got a clue what to do when it plays up. Its such a good site and very interesting to read about other peoples much loved R4's!

I wasn't paying attention - was it the blue one you bought? Do post some photos of the car. Any name for the car yet?

Didn't realise how few and far between they were until we started looking for one. We spotted a nice Red one and thought he needed a good home. Called him Reuben!

• IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 235
  • img_3971 (2).jpg
    img_3971 (2).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3970.jpg
    IMG_3970.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 233
Well done - Reuben looks lovely. Nice ones are even harder to find than the usual used types, so good find there.

Hi guys,

I spotted it on ebay but it had already sold, I thought it looked nice so I contacted the owner, a guy in Burton, Staffs and asked him to pass my name on to the new owner incase he ever wanted to sell it. Turned out that the successful bidder dropped out so we went to look at it. Its only done 11,000 miles and was in storage for over 10 years. Saying that its rusty underneath but doesn't look like its about to fall apart. I think we will try and keep him forever and get him restored when he starts to deteriorate badly. He will be kept outside on the drive unfortunately as we have no garage! We payed £2350 which may have been a little excessive, but they are so hard to find aren't they and I needed a car, besides it was love at first sight!

Well done! That's a small price to pay for a lovely car that you'll cherish for years. I doubt you'll ever come across another so nice. You'll probably have the last R4 in Britain when everybody else's bites the dust. We see a few around here in France but they are just old rustbuckets.

when u say its rusty underneath i guess its probably surface scabs like mine is , as mines also been off the road for 10 years
rather than covering them all with black underseal you should try some clear rust treatments like ive put on mine.
Ive used a rust convertor spray after i brushed all the dust and cobwebs and snails! off
which dries clear and turns the surface rust dark and dries completely
then i used a clear underbody wax which is a light brown colour, but still not a heavy underseal and only semi dries.Also put this up inside the front wing seams and all along the chassis and up the insides of the sills, and it comes with a longish attachment so you can get some into the rear box chassis sections
All made by Dinitrol,i dont work for them :) although this stuff was rated the best by practical classics,couple of tins or each would be enough

this has

Thanks for the advice Matt, sounds like a good idea. I wasn't planning on doing anything cause I don't know what I'm doing and I'll get my nails dirty but my other half who has now been instructed to learn all about Reno 4's did say that he was going to seal it with that black stuff before the winter sets in. Im glad you have come up with another suggestion I will let him know. Poor man another job to add to his list, along with fix the leaky back door (on the house) and sort the guttering out!

Another vote for Dinitrol or Waxoyl, all my cars are covered in the stuff injected into box sections and re applied every autumn. Where we live in the countryside if we didn't we wouldn't have cars after 3 or 4 years.

ive done mine and my mini with it
the black thick underseal i thinks a bit old hat these days,might be ok on a fresh new car but doesnt seem to do much on any existing rust as ive had some cars that still rust away but you cant see it under the underseal until a bit drops off !
then trying to weld is a pain as you have to clean it all off

anyone tried the underbody removal spray that sell from frosts? as ive a car that needs it all removing,was going to try petrol but this stuffs specially made for just this job

Back