Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 5 Mk1 parts

Mike Cordeiro

Enthusiast
Hi all,
I am looking for suppliers of Renault 5 mk1 parts. (new parts)
I am considering restoring one but I first need to ascertain that enough parts are still available , like there is for the 4L
Does anyone have experience with this ?

Many thanks

Hi Mike
I'm sure you'll be able to find quite a few Mk 1 5 parts fairly easily in Portugal - now that the UK is no longer in the EU, many R4/5 parts have become difficult to get hold of. There must be a fair amount of NOS stuff in France, Spain and Portugal - I used to find a lot of parts on French/Spanish eBay; there's a lot of stuff on Leboncoin and Milanuncios too.
Some (emphasis on the 'some') R4 and R5 parts are the same, depending on the model - balljoints/front (but not rear) shock absorbers/some brake parts, etc. Some parts that seem similar are different - steering racks, for example. It's the usual small Renault minefield - you must have the PR900 parts book to be sure.
In the UK, R5 body panels, windscreens, headlights and some exhaust parts were harder to come by a few years ago than their R4 equivalents. I've got a few R5 bits and bobs, but they'd be easier to find closer to home.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Mike
I'm sure you'll be able to find a lot of Mk 1 5 parts fairly easily in Portugal - now that the UK is no longer in the EU, a lot of R4/5 parts have become difficult to get hold of. There must be a lot of NOS stuff in France, Spain and Portugal - I used to find a lot of parts on French/Spanish eBay; there's a lot of stuff on Leboncoin and Milanuncios too.
Some (emphasis on the 'some') R4 and R5 parts are the same, depending on the model - balljoints/front (but not rear) shock absorbers/some brake parts, etc. Some parts that seem similar are different - steering racks, for example. It's the usual small Renault minefield - you must have the PR900 parts book to be sure.
In the UK, R5 body panels, windscreens, headlights and some exhaust parts were harder to come by a few years ago than their R4 equivalents. I've got a few R5 bits and bobs, but they'd be easier to find closer to home.
Good luck!

Thank you so much Andy, you`ve given me the final motivational push that I needed.
I have a 1985 R5 1.4 automatic with very low mileage and rust free that is showing its age.
While at it I intend to convert it to a manual 5 speed.
I will be sharing the progress here.

Hi Andy,
Where would I be able to get hold of the PR900 parts book for the Mk1 R5? In the past I've used an on-line source called PartsSouq but "Renault"has now been removed from their list.
Best Regards,

John Fletcher

Hi Andy,
Where would I be able to get hold of the PR900 parts book for the Mk1 R5? In the past I've used an on-line source called PartsSouq but "Renault"has now been removed from their list.
Best Regards,

John Fletcher
Hi John
I've only got a paper copy of the PR900 (version 20: >1995); someone on here may well have a pdf version, though.
There's one on eBay - expensive, but the seller's open to offers:

Within 15 mins of 'watching' this, I had a mail from the seller which dropped the price to £55....

Am happy to pm you the odd page if it helps - are you looking for any particular parts?
By the way, what type of R5 have you got?

Thanks for the quick reply Andy. I've not had my Mk1 R5 GTL that long but my two sons both have the later model which I've done quite a lot of work on and I came to quite liking them.
I looked at the Ebay ad and it would appear the PR900 covers all Renault models because I could see an R4 and an R18 in there. I'll keep looking - I'm quite near to Wakefield so I might go and have a look and make an offer.

John

Thanks for the quick reply Andy. I've not had my Mk1 R5 GTL that long but my two sons both have the later model which I've done quite a lot of work on and I came to quite liking them.
I looked at the Ebay ad and it would appear the PR900 covers all Renault models because I could see an R4 and an R18 in there. I'll keep looking - I'm quite near to Wakefield so I might go and have a look and make an offer.

John
Hi again John
Yes, as you say, the PR900 covers all Renault models - this is quite handy, as some R4 parts fit Mk1 5s, etc. As long as you start with a part number, you'll be okay.
There was a Mk1 5 - specific parts manual (PR962), although I don't think I've seen one recently that covers the GTLs. I'm guessing that your car must be late 70s/early 80s; when I had Mk1 5s, I found the PR900 invaluable. I remember that there were sometimes problems finding things because there were two different GTLs (2- and 4-door, with different engines, and another with a low-compression head). The oval plate number is really important.
I've still got a few bits and bobs for Mk1 5s - new silencers, a new alternator, a reconditioned steering rack, a brand new windscreen and quite a lot of other stuff.
All the best
Andy

Back