Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 8

gpovanman

More than a 4 is excess!
I have been having a mooch round the web at what my next purchase will be. I have seen a nice F& in Madrid, for very good money, and have also found a nice 6, also in Madrid, but a bit pricey. Better still, a 4 headlight R8 has turned up in Mallorca. What are these beasts like to maintain, and are parts a problem with them being rear engined. The one I am looking at is an 1100. Is this the same engine as fitted to the later R4s, and is it bad to drive being rear engined? Obviously with me living in Mallorca, this is a lot easier option than something on the mainland. Thanks

Sounds like one of the later Spanish built FASA Renault 8S’s. Four headlight front panel with four 5.75” lights. The engine would be basically the same as that on an R4 GTL, but there will be detail differences such as the waterpump (different and located on the opposite end of the cylinder head) and the carby and manifold, also depending on the age of the motor there may be other detail design differences such as bearings, liner seals and the like. Same with the gearbox, the casing is unique to the R8, but the internals use a mix and match of bearings, shafts and gears from other Renault models. Probably just give it a check for rust, being in a dry climate helps, but then they tend to rust from the inside out. The vent chamber in the front boot runs under the boot floor, check that the top of it hasn’t rusted through and filled the boot with water under the boot mat, check sills and the interior floor, especially the rear footwells.

As for driving, being rear engined with swing axles does require some restraint at higher speeds, but it is nothing untoward in “normal” driving. But in crosswinds you will need a sack of cement in the front boot.

Back