Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Replacing key ignition with push start

Nicho

Enthusiast
I'm renovating a 1983 Renault 4 GTL but broke the key off in the ignition barrel. I don't need security so I bought a push button start but it hasn't come with a wiring diagram. It has a toggle switch to turn on the ignition, then a push button to start the engine. I've got four wires that were attached to the back of the key barrel. The plate that the switches are mounted on is aluminium, do I need a separate earth? Any advice on how to wire it up would be appreciated.

disconnect the wires from behind the lock,you just identufy the 2 wires that when connected triggers the starter,connect to start-button
-I assume we're talking about a push/release button? I agree with you; security is overrated c",) -R.

Thanks for your prompt response. I've ordered a multi meter on Amazon, so hopefully that will tell me which wires are carrying the heavier load.

I did a conversion on my Lancia Montecarlo using a push button starter kit. Will see if I can locate the diagram that came with it and post on here.

Ha ha ha! I thought this thread was going to be about starter or solenoid failure! :-D. (Push start!!)

Nicho
Searched for the information I had without success. Sorry

It's very simple, one of the four wires coming from the wiring loom has +12V directly from the battery and the switch passes this voltage to the other three ones depending on its position: accessories (radio-electric cooling fan if fitted) , ignition and components that work with ignition on, and starter.
So the connections would be like this: Toggle switch with +12V on one terminal and accessory/ignition wires on the other, and starter button with +12V on one terminal and starter wire on the other. You can make the starter operate only when ignition is on by feeding the button from the toggle switch.

Thanks Angel. I eventually worked it out using the Haynes wiring diagram and a multi meter, and it is as you describe.

Back