Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Reversing light or not?

YellowVan

Enthusiast
Just a quick question; my little ex french postal van does not seem to have a revering light.
There is no clear part to either of the light clusters at the rear and obviously no light comes on when in reverse. It is a 1988 van just like the one in the gallery pics here on this site. Any ideas ?

Also just to totally confuse things it has a fog light idiot light symbol (not lit up tho) on the main drivers panel but no fog light on the van. Are the fog lamps built into the light cluster or are they the ones that hang down like add-ons? and mine has probably been knocked off.

Silly questions but they are really bugging me as I like to know what everything does.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers YellowVan (fuel pump still leaking :( )

AFAIK, the tail lights on the F4 vans were never fitted with reversing lights or fog lights. The attached pic shows the reversing light arrangement on an Irish F4 van that a mate posted to me. The fog lights always seem to be seperate, usually mounted below the bumper.

• DSC02785.jpg
    DSC02785.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 368
Fog lamps go below the bumper. To fit reverse lamps get hold of a rear brake lamp switch off a motorbike and fit it to the gear lever at the front of the engine. Then just wire up a simple circuit; that's what I'm going to do when I get round to it. Get lamps from scrapyard also!

You might want to have a look at the left hand side of the gearbox to see if there is a blanked off hole to fit a reverse light switch rather than rig up a 'Heath Robinson' set-up!! If you're lucky the reverse light wiring may also be included in the loom.

Just had a look and you're absolutely right Steve, there is a bung! Theres an R5 abandoned close to where I live, will it's switch be compatable with mine? Are switches the same size on most old Renaults or will they fit from other cars?

The switch will be the same from the R5 and I'm guessing that other old Renault switches may do as well. I can't see Renault making loads of different switches for their models. I would not even attempt to fit one from another make of car. See if the wires are on your model also as, again, I can't see them producing different looms for each later model of the R4.

Back