Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Screeching starter motor

sshermand

Enthusiast
I have just put in a new starter motor . I was sold a Paris-Rhone type with a longer body than the existing one- I was told this would not present any problem and would be compatible,though I had to remove the engine bracket to fit it .
Now here is the problem, the new starter is screeching every time as I turn the ignition-though the engine very well starts . It is like a high squeak I didn't grease the inside of the starter motor.Was i supposed to have grease it and well as the fly wheel ?! Or have i fitted it badly ? Or i have been sold the wrong part ?

I am sorry i do not know enough about the parts applicable I am sure others do.
Usually though a screeching starter is because the thrust cog that moves forward to turn the flywheel gets stuck and doesnt release quick enough this is usually remedied by removing and cleaning the clutch dust off and adding a small amount of hight temp grease to spindle only not the cog BUT you said it was new where this does nt usually happen. So maybe as 99% of starters are exchange rebuilds it may be something worn that was overlooked during rebuild.
I have learned over years not to 'NOT suspect' a part just because its new
sorry it isnt more helpful

Thanks for that- still screeching when I turn it over- I did grease the spindle sticking out the top of the starter motor -was that the right thing to do? (used lithium grease)
By the way would the drivebelts cause the noise? Though the high pitch noise is only on start up.

Back