Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Softer clutch/lighter Flywheel?

Mike Cordeiro

Enthusiast
Hello everyone,
I've read somewhere, long ago, that it is possible to convert the standard clutch/ flywheel set-up on a 1108 engine for a much lighter operation clutch ? Does anyone know anything about this?
I need to remove my engine to investigate the noise coming from the timing chain and I thought that it will be a good time do do this mod as my clutch cables don't seem to last too long.
Any info will be much appreciated.

p.s. I did search the forum for it but did not find anything.

Hi Mike, the resistance that you are experiencing when pushing the clutch pedal is probably because the shaft that goes through the bell-housing, and links the cable to the release bearing, has almost seized in the hole in the housing. Try a generous application of WD40 or similar, this might relieve the situation for now, and then when you remove your engine you can investigate further.
I've not heard of a conversion to obtain a lighter clutch, but someone out there in R4 land might know differently. Good luck.

Regards Brian .

Last edited:
I am with Cornish4 on this. My clutch was always stiff then seized after a winter lay up. After taking the gearbox out and freeing the shaft the clutch is as light as anything. I tried the WD40 but it didn't work for me. Hope you have better luck.

I have had awful stiff clutch issues, which ended up being the cable seizing in the sheath. mr-reno-139 suggested heat as the problem, so I slid some hard plastic tube over the clutch cable where it passes near the manifold and lodged the cable away from the manifold with the help of the air intake 'trumpet'; it helped A LOT, and I recommend this. I had tried a new cable and soaking visibly good cables in oil, and they still went very stiff - until I kept the heat away. Just an idea.

Thanks guys, I have replaced the clutch kit about a year ago and did lube all the shafts and bearing collar at the time and although the clutch is not horribly stiff, it is quite a bit stiffer than the one on my Renault super 5 that has a similar engine.
My issue is basically the fact the clutch cables don't last. They get stiff after a few 1000 kms and I thought that a lighter clutch would help.
I have to remove the engine as my timing chain is making a rattling sound after the engine warms up.
I will try the idea of shielding the clutch from the manifold heat.

Hi, the stiff clutch might be caused by a seized clutch lever.
I came across a gearbox with the clutch lever completely seized up.
After a drenching in wd40 it’s loose now.
But it will probably seize again if I don’t take it apart and lubricate the bushes. And the rod that connects to the lever.
I forgot to take a foto but I found something online that looks similar
2B4E21F3-FB5F-4948-AADF-9E109CDA04CC.jpeg
It’s the bushes in the bell house that caused the stiff clutch in my gearbox.

Back