Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Spanish Spec cars L , TL , etc

funky D

Enthusiast
Hi
Can I ask about different spec cars please from Spain , are these different from the sort of specs or labels we give british R4 s .
I have seen lots of L s and TL s advertised as being mid 80s cars ( 1984 1985 etc ) all with the single swage line down the side and no plastic trim on the bottom of doors etc , and with cloth seats . Only one with the plastic type of trim at the bottom that was advertised as a GTL .

Can someone tell me what yr the dashboard changed from a metal type oblong dash , to the bigger more square plastic type unit .

Plus are any R4 after 1982 going to be the 1108 engine and could this also be a L or TL ?

Many thanks
Funky

Hello FunkyD
The GTL is an 1108cc engine and was made from 1978 to 1986. From 1986 to 1993 the GTL Clan was introduced and that was 956cc. They both have the plastic panels on the sides.
The TL is 845cc and I'm not too sure but I think it started in 1963 onwards, maybe someone can confirm this

Hi FunkyD
We have an original Spanish 1988 Renault 4TL with a 1108cc engine ('1.1 litros' badge on tailgate), which has many detail differences from the French or UK market Renault 4GTL.
The most obvious is the lack of grey plastic panels on the lower doors, which personally I prefer. It also has chrome bumpers, no love handles, black door handles, 18mm wide black trim at the waistline and black gutter trim.
Internally, the seats have full fabric covers and front headrests, carpet insert to the rear parcel shelf and different fabric/rubber boot mat. The roof headlining is fabric, not a one-piece solid plastic moulding.
There are absolutely no brackets nor captive nuts for rear seat belts, which were all insitu on our previous UK 1978 850cc Renault 4 TL. Under the bonnet, the brake master cylinder is only single-circuit, and there are no black plastic bowls to the rear of the headlights.
Although I can understand the trim differences, the lack of rear seatbelt mountings is unexpected. This may suggest the original 1988 Spanish (& Portugese) R4 may not all be fabricated to a standard French specification.
Does anyone know where to get the black waistline trim? The front wing has been replaced, but not the trim.

John

Thanks guys and thank you Joop for the link this is great , so many little differences and things were not adding up .
I was getting confused by the ones I was seeing for sale and now I know why .

Funky D

Speaking from a Portuguese point of view my '88 GTL 1108 engine has no rear seat belt mountings either, internally it's the same as the Spanish TL, cloth seats,headrests,fabric headlining, carpeted parcel shelf etc. Externally chrome bumpers, black waist trim and chrome doorhandles.

Can I ask about different spec cars please from Spain , are these different from the sort of specs or labels we give british R4 s .
In Spain the GTL was never produced, and not sold there until 1990 (Slovakian import). Between 1964 and 1990 all models were produced according to local specs in Valladolid. See http://allez-y.info/fasa_dating.html for the model and equipment changes.

Can someone tell me what yr the dashboard changed from a metal type oblong dash , to the bigger more square plastic type unit . Plus are any R4 after 1982 going to be the 1108 engine and could this also be a L or TL ?
Dashboard was changed for model year 1983. I believe the engine was 852cc (813-02) from 1968-1981, from model year 1982 TL with 1108cc until 1990.

Last edited:
Hi funky D
I am in Worthing west Sussex call in for a chat message me first to make sure i am not too busy

Hi FunkyD
We have an original Spanish 1988 Renault 4TL with a 1108cc engine ('1.1 litros' badge on tailgate), which has many detail differences from the French or UK market Renault 4GTL.
The most obvious is the lack of grey plastic panels on the lower doors, which personally I prefer. It also has chrome bumpers, no love handles, black door handles, 18mm wide black trim at the waistline and black gutter trim.
Internally, the seats have full fabric covers and front headrests, carpet insert to the rear parcel shelf and different fabric/rubber boot mat. The roof headlining is fabric, not a one-piece solid plastic moulding.
There are absolutely no brackets nor captive nuts for rear seat belts, which were all insitu on our previous UK 1978 850cc Renault 4 TL. Under the bonnet, the brake master cylinder is only single-circuit, and there are no black plastic bowls to the rear of the headlights.
Although I can understand the trim differences, the lack of rear seatbelt mountings is unexpected. This may suggest the original 1988 Spanish (& Portugese) R4 may not all be fabricated to a standard French specification.
Does anyone know where to get the black waistline trim? The front wing has been replaced, but not the trim.

John
Hi did you ever find a place to get the black waistline trim ,as i am missing 1 from the driver door,thanks simon

These two places in Spain stock the correct profile rubber side trim, its sold by the metre length, there may be more places that do stock trim, :-
pacolugoclasicos.com
peizasautoclassicos.com

Back