Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Speedo for 1987 F4

Rustyoldjcb

Enthusiast
Hi!

Just seeing if anyone has a working speedo and/or complete panel assembly for my 1987 van?

Thanks!
20200802_152454.jpg

Hi

MPH speedos are hard to get hold of these days. Looking at the image of your speedo, I am not a 100% sure from the image but it looks like the needle has curled forwards and is touching the transparent perspex. The reason I mention this is that I have had Veglia speedo head needles with this problem in the past. If this is the case, take off the speedo head and gently nip off the part of the needle which is touching the perspex.

Hi

MPH speedos are hard to get hold of these days. Looking at the image of your speedo, I am not a 100% sure from the image but it looks like the needle has curled forwards and is touching the transparent perspex. The reason I mention this is that I have had Veglia speedo head needles with this problem in the past. If this is the case, take off the speedo head and gently nip off the part of the needle which is touching the perspex.
Thanks! I'll have a look! As it's an ex French car (albeit converted to RHD) I wouldn't mind if it was in KMH but dont know if anything was changed at the gearbox end.

Hi

Damn you're good! Had a real close look and the tip of the needle is touching the dial face. I'll try and bend it back. Thanks!!

Hi

Be careful with trying to bend it back, the needles are delicate. I opted to gently nip off the bit touching the perspex. Stubbier looking needle but a working speedo.

Hi

Be careful with trying to bend it back, the needles are delicate. I opted to gently nip off the bit touching the perspex. Stubbier looking needle but a working speedo.
Thanks! I assume the needle thin plastic? Your advice is much appreciated BTW :-)

Would a heat gun and great care work? Heat the needle up until it is bendy then hold it in the new position while it cools. Matbe shove a bit of paper behind so you don't burn off all the numbers

You can always take speedo apart and take of needle and flat it on workbench. It comes of with use of cutlery fork.
To do that you must separate front black plastic from white rear plastic housing.

Also numbers on speedo can be easily changed (held in place with 2 small screws) once needle is removed.
So you can use EU speedo and just change number facial with MPH's

You can always take speedo apart and take of needle and flat it on workbench. It comes of with use of cutlery fork.
To do that you must separate front black plastic from white rear plastic housing.

Also numbers on speedo can be easily changed (held in place with 2 small screws) once needle is removed.
So you can use EU speedo and just change number facial with MPH's
Brilliant! I was worried it had to go back in exactly the the right place on its mounting, but thinking about how it works that's not the case? The needle will just fall onto the bottom pin, rest there and be ready to receive the spinning magnetic force?

One thing i remembered.

Before you take needle off, mark how it stands on dials when it is in rest mode. So you know where to put needle back.
Also when you taking mark, speedo must stand similar as it stands in car (vertically)

Edit: Just saw your replay.

Yes, needle must be put back in right position to show real speed you are driving.
It is not complicated as needle will fall down to her start position once you take speedo out of the housing.
But speedo must stand vertically because needle can be easily moved if you twist speedo it self.

If needle does not fall down to zero (little bit below zero mark) there is possibility that speedo is faulty.
You can check it only if you put it back in car and check speed precision with some kind SpeedGPS application on your mobile phone.
Or maybe someone was playing with it before and put needle in wrong position.

Also to mention. Speedo from R5 (Super five) is similar to one in R4 but it does not show right speed and mileage. Done that, but it is not working correctly. On 22km trip it showed only 17km traveled. And speeds were not correct.

One thing i remembered.

Before you take needle off, mark how it stands on dials when it is in rest mode. So you know where to put needle back.
Also when you taking mark, speedo must stand similar as it stands in car (vertically)

Edit: Just saw your replay.

Yes, needle must be put back in right position to show real speed you are driving.
It is not complicated as needle will fall down to her start position once you take speedo out of the housing.
But speedo must stand vertically because needle can be easily moved if you twist speedo it self.

If needle does not fall down to zero (little bit below zero mark) there is possibility that speedo is faulty.
You can check it only if you put it back in car and check speed precision with some kind SpeedGPS application on your mobile phone.
Or maybe someone was playing with it before and put needle in wrong position.

Also to mention. Speedo from R5 (Super five) is similar to one in R4 but it does not show right speed and mileage. Done that, but it is not working correctly. On 22km trip it showed only 17km traveled. And speeds were not correct.
Thanks! So I was completely wrong! Not for the first time I might add! :-)

Well, the pointer has been bent back so now moves freely. Result! :-)

Still want a replacement speedo, mainly for the circuit ribbon on the back as mine is starting to separate. W,H,Y.?

Thanks all!

Maybe i have one for sale.
Must check my boxes.

Back