Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

steering linkages to wheel hubs.

Ron from sa

Enthusiast
HELP!
A desperate plea to all regarding the attachment of the link arms from the steering rack ends to the wheel hubs. I am sure a previous owner has removed them sometime in the past and then re-fitted them to the wrong sides. There is no way the saddles can ever line up with the ring bolts at the ends of the rack.
I have another spare pair of arms but try as I might they will not pull out of the casting at the wheel hub. Does anyone know of a special technique or process to remove them? I have tried moving the holding nut to the ends of the pins and then tapping them with a soft mallet. I have also tried using a bearing puller but still no luck. I am about to try heating the casting to see if it will release but am holding off as I don't want the hub to crack.
Any help or ideas much appreciated.
Ron

You need one of these.

• A6C3A64B-8F6E-48A1-B338-ADABFA2BEEAB.jpeg
    A6C3A64B-8F6E-48A1-B338-ADABFA2BEEAB.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1
. . . . which is called a ball-joint splitter, ball joint puller or ball-joint separator. Get a good quality one : cheap ones can have a lot of undesirable play in the spindle. Mine came from Beta and is excellent (Beta Tools item 1559 or 1560).

Back