Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Storage with E10

nickharman

Enthusiast
I shall be leaving the R4 in the barn for at least 3 months and it has about a gallon of E10 in it

Should I try and empty the tank then run the engine until it stops to clear away as much E10 as possible?

Although I am not sure how best to empty the tank, perhaps best to disconnect the fuel pump from the tank and then run until the float chamber is empty?

Thx

N

Drive untill tank is empty.
Never use e10 just use super 98 or 102 like we used in the old days that's the best fuel

There will still be petrol in the tank even when it has been run empty. Advice is often to fill the tank up to the top, but that's not ideal if you leave the car for 6 months and have to run on summer fuel in the winter, or worse leave the car for years until the petrol goes off. I try to leave mine low for that reason. It's one of those problems without a good answer, but I imagine re-manufactured petrol tanks will become readily available.

I wouldn't worry too much about 3 months.

There will still be petrol in the tank even when it has been run empty. Advice is often to fill the tank up to the top, but that's not ideal if you leave the car for 6 months and have to run on summer fuel in the winter, or worse leave the car for years until the petrol goes off. I try to leave mine low for that reason. It's one of those problems without a good answer, but I imagine re-manufactured petrol tanks will become readily available.

I wouldn't worry too much about 3 months.

it's not the tank that worries me as much as the effect on fuel hoses and, apparently, soldered parts in the carbs!

Drive untill tank is empty.
Never use e10 just use super 98 or 102 like we used in the old days that's the best fuel
I can try to do that, then stick a gallon of 98 in from a spare tank in the boot. 98 in France is tres expensive.

I have had some issues with e10.
Ethanol has very good cleaning properties that make all old debris in tank and fuel system to be part of the fuel again. That's why filters need to be replaced and checked often until fuel system I cleaned out bye the new fuel. (Same happened when engine oil start to have cleaning detergents to clean engines inside, old oil and carbon come lose in oil system and clogged pump and oil ways.)
Next winter I will disconnect fuel line to the pump and run carburettor empty and then restart on (Aspen Swedish brand) alkylate petrol. So fuel pump and carburettor is stored with alkylate petrol.
There is also fuel stabilators on the market, you just add it when filling up.

Back