Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Strange speedo problem

Kermit4

Enthusiast
Hi All,
Just picked up my "new" car yesterday and driving home I noticed the speedometer only moves between 10kph and 35kph. The odometer works fine so I suspect the needle is not going around the dial correctly. Is it easy to remove the instrument binnacle and have a look inside the speedo head or is this a job for a professional?
Many thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
PS It is a Portuguese LHD 1987 Renault 4 GTL.

Hi Andy,
Many thanks for your reply. Very helpful. I think you are right getting a replacement unit seems the way to go. I will try to get one via the links you gave.

Andy,
The one being sold in France is made by Veglia but looks identical to the existing Jaeger one. Do you know if they are interchangeable? Many thanks again for your help. The company in France seem to be very helpful.

Hi Andy,
Thanks to your help I have purchased a used Jaeger unit from the guy in France whose link you gave me. It has no bulbs but I can use the ones from my current unit except the left hand illumination bulb in current unit is broken. Do you happen to know if the bulbs are specific to this model or will an after market bulb do the trick? Many thanks and thanks again for the links you provided.

Ian
Sorry - have only just seen your post from 19/01.
Complete Jaeger and Veglia units have the same part number. Glad you've got hold of a replacement - hope it does the trick!

Hi Andy,
No problem. Just to let you know I got a replacement Jaeger one from the link you gave me in France. Complete unit arrived in Portugal and was fitted today and works great. Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it. Best Regards Ian

Cheers Andy. Working on it now. Appreciate your help. Really good to know there are people out there sharing their knowledge of the R4. Loving the car and get lots of positive response as I drive it around. The bright green paintwork might be part of the reason!!

Back