Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sun roof convertion

Richard Williams

Enthusiast
I'm planning to establish a sunroof in my R4 as close as possible to the origional type. I have the canvas cover and folding levers! but need to know the profile of the origional rim. Can anyone provide me with some measurments, drawings, or some close up photos? Even better if the is a bodyshell out there with a sunroof but the car is not road worthy I could use the roof section.

• fc_24.JPG.jpg
    fc_24.JPG.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 364
Sun Roof

Thanks for the link, I owned a 69 4 with full factory sunroof for 8 years around 10 years ago, so I can remember almost all of the detailes but not the measurements. My recollection is that it transforms the car , giving it a really light and fun feel. The noise was never an issue , there were never leaks, we used it throughout the year, and the kids loved to stand on the front bench seat and stick their heads into the air stream!! All kids still alive, but some members will frown. A more serious admission is that in my ignorance I never garaged the car and used it thoughout the winters....... RIP.
I bought the car as second owner 3000 miles (genuine!!) 20 years old! Emaculate!! It all brings tear to the eyes!

I've got a sunroof model - it's away at the mechanics being fixed right now but when I get it back I'll take some measurements for you.

Graham

Thanks

Thanks that would be good. I realise that there must be some strengthening as I have cut the roof out of an old body and it is really thin that metal,very little rigidity. Anyway measurement ,photos or drawing would be great

Graham, is this the blue '66 model sold in the Melbourne trading post about 6-12 months ago?

Hi Pieter - yes I would think this is the one, although it was bought about mid 2004..

Sorry for the delay Richard on these pics of the sunroof. I've been busy as a brickie in Beirut.

The sunroof measures 85 x 132 (cms)

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 291
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg