Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Supply of Points for GTl

Richard Williams

Enthusiast
Can anyone help me?.... the spring has broken on the points of my 1986 GTL
The type is the one with the points"upside down" and the word FEMSA on the vacuum advance (see photo) I'm keen to find the part quickly if possible.
Thanks
Richard

• IMG_4379.jpg
    IMG_4379.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 169
I've got that type. I buy them from my motor factor - they tend to have them in stock!, although Renault probably do them too.

How did the spring break? Never seen that before.

Points replacement

I have no idea how the spring fractured ,just something that can happen on a car that has been unused for a long while with 20y old parts I guess.
can you tell me a part number to ask for? and are they available on the net .
Another question the spindle that the points are mounted on (brass) is not rigid,it wobbles...is that normal? Do you think Liam would have this part? So many questions ,sorry.
Richard

I just pop in to the local motor factors and ask for points for a 1986 Renault 4 with the Femsa distributor. They figure out the rest. I don't know of any internet sources.

I think the brass spindle is rivited on, so a little wobble might be possible. Probably won't be a problem unless it falls off altogether, but it might be sensible to ask around the forum for a spare just in case.

Other points!

I have a complete distributer unit from another GTL same year in good condition, but it has a different type ofpoints, would it be possible to exchange the whole units? I guess the timeing would have to be reset but it may work?

Before buying the points check that the vacumn unit is working. Push a small bore pipe on it and suck. If you see movement then it's ok. If not, use your other distributor but also check that vacumn unit as well.

Richard, there are points for your Femsa distributor on eBay on Buy It Now, I think they're priced at £2.25 and £1.50 p&p. The seller is bromyardbrave and they're under classic car parts, search R4 contact points and you can't go wrong.
Far cheaper than my motor factor who charged me £8.75 for a set!!!
As for the spring splitting in half! Mine did exactly the same thing, metal fatigue maybe?!

Rudi.
ps my pin wobbles a little bit too.:wink:

Thanks

Thanks to all for the advise. I was impressed...phoned my local motor factor at 12 noon, told they were not in stock but could be ordered in for the afternoon, they got them in and then delivered to me (some 15 miles away) by 1700H That's good for a part that can't sell in any sort of numbes. Thanks for the ebay link I'll check it out, a spare

Missing circlip

No one noticed but my photo of the fractured points showed no circlip on the post that holds the points! . It was never there when I bought the car and being unfamiliar with these points never noticed it myself until now. For everyones information the car has been runnung fine without the said clip so if you are unfortunate enough to lose one don't worry too much!

Back