Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Thinking of fitting a non return valve to fuel line...why?... read on.

Fentible

Enthusiast
If I leave my 1985 R4 TL standing for a week or so, its quite hard to start, with no attempt to fire until the motor has turned over for at least 10-15 seconds (not done continuously). If I'm using it regularly, no problem at all, even after a couple of days. I spotted that after the 6-7 days standing period, the glass bowl on the fuel filter is empty. I assume its the fuel draining back into the tank but would have thought that the float chamber on the carb (rebuilt 32IF7 Zenith) would remain full. I'm thinking of installing a one way valve in the fuel line, am I missing something.......or perhaps just a measure of petulance for being left standing? Thanks in advance George

Check the fuel pump. If it's the engine driven one, the fuel may be draining into the sump with potentially disastrous results. In extreme cases the oil level rises on the dipstick and if you sniff the dipstick end, you can smell petrol. The oil will also get thinner. Had this a few decades ago on a Mk1 Cortina. Sorry if I've alarmed you!

Eccles60, many thanks for your reply. I do have the engine driven pump. I'll check that tomorrow but a did check the oil a few days ago and it was bang on the level when it changed it last November so hopefully its not that. Thanks George

The fuel line tends to empty more if the seals in the fuel pump are a bit worn. My van did that badly and I'm hoping a new pump will fix it.

I have a similar problem with my f4 furgonette, to which I recently swapped for a zenith 32 carburettor... fuel pump brand new, but the carb has some issues cause I find gasoline on the manifold, but not always, just sometimes... so it is difficult to guess from where it is leaking.

Despite the fact my one way valve has arrived, I've just ordered a new pump from Vehicules-ancien and will see if that rectifies the problem. Oil doesn't smell of petrol though and the level still looks the same.

It seems to me more likely the fuel is draining out of the float bowl. It would have to go uphill to go back into the fuel pump. Look for leaks around the flat bowl bottom screws- drain plug and the adjustment screws.

the bit everyone is overlooking is modern petrol is designed for fuel injection and evaporation is at a much lower temperature
switch engine off the rising heat will evaporate it very quickly
fuel injection cars it is circulating to rail under pressure as soon as ignition switch turned on

Controversial maybe, but pulling the choke out as getting out after switching off has lessened this problem for me.

the bit everyone is overlooking is modern petrol is designed for fuel injection and evaporation is at a much lower temperature
switch engine off the rising heat will evaporate it very quickly
fuel injection cars it is circulating to rail under pressure as soon as ignition switch turned on
Absolutely.

Before I took her off the road last month, my F6 was very slow starting after standing.
When I dropped the tank the pipe came off a bit too easily for my liking so I've put a hose clip on it.
Maybe there was an air leak at that point....

Back