Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Thrice-be-shitten clutch cable support bracket

rustyold4

Enthusiast
Hello all,

This evening (after a local tip-off and half hour queue) I was lucky enough to fill up with a tankful of delicious super unleaded. I was then shat upon by the gods of internal combustion as I struggled to get into gear in my now clutchless R4, and pushed my car off the forecourt.

Closer inspection (mobile phone torch) revealed the clutch cable support bracket (a simple right-angled bit of metal) had sheared off, and no longer offered a solid bracket from which the clutch cable could actuate. After rummaging through roadside lollipop sticks etc I was lucky enough to find an old drill bit stuck (rusted) to my engine mount. Slid between the two parted bits of metal, this did just enough to give the cable sufficient movement to select/ change gear and got me home.

Two questions please:
1. Has anyone had this before? Seems like a stout bracket and my clutch hasn't required abnormal effort. I'd expect a cable to go before this bit of bent plate.
2. How did you sort it? I have promised my boy we'll be out in the car next weekend. Too soon for part to be sent from Germany. If anyone has one in their shed I'll bite your hand off (I even have petrol to exchange if money doesn't excite you...). Does anyone know if it's steel (my torch didn't permit this degree of investigation)? If so I could take it off, weld it (or more realistically have it welded) and put the f**ker back in time for next weekend.

Thanks for listening.

Ben

Hello Terry,

Thank you for the message. That's not the part (it turns out there are plenty of potential options).

I'm delighted (and very grateful) that forum member JCarruthers2 not only shared his experience of the same thing happening to him, but also offered me a spare which he has. As I said to JCarruthers2, what a fantastic forum we have, that can help identify and source a very specific bit of decades-old metal. It'll get me back on the road and I'm a very happy forum member.

All the best,

Ben

That's always guessing when there's plenty of different pieces for 1 car. I'm glad you found the right one and will be back on the road

Back