Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Towbar electrics

snarthens

Enthusiast
Hi to everyone. Fairly new to this site and already got loads of great info. Anyway I've just got a R4 towbar and was wondering if anyone knows if these cars were fitted with wiring to connect up towbar electrics and where I'd find them....somewhere in the rear I'd guess!!!. The car's a 1985 R4 GTL.
Thanks.

There wasn't any special wiring wired in for a towbar. A motor factor should be able to supply one of those round connectors with wire and instructions. The wiring for the rear lights passes to the rear of the car on the left side of the roof, so you might need to remove the head lining to access the wiring. Worth measuring the length of wire you'll need as it'll probably have to be at least 2m, and some of the wiring kits only come with have 1m of wire.

Ok but when you say left do you mean driver side (on uk vehicle) or passenger.ie looking from front or rear.

Wiring loom

Hi there,
If it is the same on the cars as for the vans it passes on the passenger side (uk right hand drive). So thats the left if you are sitting in the drivers seat, or indeed the right if you are standing infront looking at the car (not advised if the vehicle is moving).
Having said all that mine is a left hooker but I think they are all the same on the wiring side of things according to the Haynes manual.

I too am still finding loads of great stuff on this site, great!!

Regards

Hi
Thanks YellowVan. I will have a look and see. Passenger side seems favourite as interior light on that side.

Back