Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Various styles of wheels for Renault 4s

Paul Narramore

pre-moderated
As a relative newcomer to Renault 4s, I am curious about what wheels were fitted, and can fit our cars. I have seen the occasional pictures of alloy wheels and pressed steel wheels, but I think it would be nice if an illustrated article on the wheels could be compiled and included in the Tech Tips section, so they would be all in one place. Me? I am far too inept with computers to even think of trying. What do you think?

I think there are some details on some of the various types of wheel fitted (some not available in the UK) in the fascinating book 'Album Renault 4' by Robert Sejourne. It's in French, and very hard to get hold of (ISBN: 2-85120-482-3).

Hi Paul

I think you have a GTL? If so the pattern of the wheel is different to allow clearance of the disc brake calipers at the front.
So any earlier solid centre wheels wont fit. (well at least not on the front anyway) Though I beleive all the Gordini type and Rostyle types will.

Im carrying out a little insert mod on my GTL wheels which will allow me to have nice chrome hub caps on the GTL wheels. The adaptor will knock out revealing the hole in the centre. This will make it much easier to get the wheels balanced and make opportunity to tighten the axle nuts when the wheel is in contact with the ground. Will be posting this detail soon.

So many I want on there Pekat

But got a set you missed ;) A set of Wolf Supa slots (and custom 5j gtl steels)
11952984_807779422676408_962456607709531201_n.jpg

Yes Eoynteenie....many would like to see on my R4 but afraid only few are available.

Yours are really brake thru in R4 (3 bolt style) wheels world. So fresh and "new" as model.

Downloaded your picture for my collection. Hope you are alright with that!

Personally I prefer the standard drilled steel wheels as they suit the basic role of the R4, but I appreciate people putting the above images of all wheels which fit.

The wheels on my car are terribly rusty so I am dithering between having them blasted and painted or blasted and powder coated. I've heard that powder coating doesn't suit steel wheels but am unsure why.

I do have a set of standard GTL wheels that have been powder coated. I think it suits them fine.IMG_0742.JPG

I do have them for 6 years now.
When I do wash them they look like new again. This pic was teken 3 years ago before I turned my F6 into the forestry department green beast

Paul, Derek at renospeed spoke that they cannot get the coating into where the hub meets the rim (noted on my bandeds :( ) and this causes them to rot out worse (I think?)

and no worries Petak! I need to get my r4 back on teh road to see what those supa slots are like on a R4!

I can confirm Eoynteenie....
If you get your wheels powder-coated, small gap will be left where hub and rim are joined. and there can start rust...
I powder-coated mine, and will see how they will work.
Have another set of standard R4 wheels that i am planing to paint.

Guys....listen.....i am not "almighty"....so do not know all wheels for R4 ....just added my contribution to the topic.....

Mr-reno-139....yours have also added to "my collection"....did not seen them before.......

Some, but not many, powder coated after blasting, give metal a red oxide coating before powder coating them. My BMWR100GS-PD frame is in far better condition having been red oxided than the BMW K100 frame I had done years ago.

As for rust, Harbourseal's rims are standing up well to any corrosion after six years.

Hi guys!,

A quick question, I have two sets of rims. The right one is an standard GTL rim, but what is the left one? Any info on that? Thanks!:)

WP_20170826_15_16_49_Pro.jpg

jurjenz.... left one was standard on earlier models. TL.
one with front drum brakes.
They wont fit front disc brake model as caliper is on the way.
They look much better to my and iam thinking how and what to modify so that they fit disc brake model as my GTL is

Back