Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What are these buttons on the dashboard?

bartoni79

Enthusiast
Hi All,

My R4 is running very nicely after my distributor issues covering a good number of miles over the weekends (when it’s dry). I have however noticed these buttons on the underside of the dashboard. I do have an aftermarket air con unit/ temp gauge so this may be from that but thought I’d ask if anyone knew what they were for.
I also have screenwashers but I can’t find the button, does anyone know where this is?
I’ve scoured the Haynes manual but can’t find anything. Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Many Thanks!!!

• 818E6778-1DFF-4023-A127-5ED147BB4F0A.jpeg
    818E6778-1DFF-4023-A127-5ED147BB4F0A.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 14
the arrows are just symbols to indicate air flow direction for heater
move lever on right up heat on screen
down for feet
middle is both

First step : switch on heater fan (switch centrally placed above black grille).
Then : turn knob (lower right in your pic) to point up for heat on, down for heat off (cuts off water flow to heater manifold).
Then : deflect the airflow to the windscreen (lever top right with horizontal bar — pull it up) or towards the feet (push lever down). The "up" and "down"arrows in your pic refer to this.
Possibly if you have another aircon/heater unit, and if it is run from the (ignition controlled) 12V supply to the heater fan, then the latter will not switch on so the rest of the system remains mysterious.
Looks like a GTL so the screen washer electric pump will be controlled from a stalk next to the steering column. Alternatively it might be "manually" operated by a foot pump which will be next to the clutch pedal, mounted on the floor (rubber dome-shaped object, pump with foot to squirt water).
If it were mine I’d remove the aircon and revert to factory spec. The heater is more than adequate (when switched on).

Is yours Slovenian? We have a H-reg 1990 Slovenian-built GTL in what looks like the same metallic blue. The screenwash pump is foot operated as @benchseat has suggested. MOT testers often can't find it!

Ahhh, thank you so much! The aircon is operated separately but has an aftermarket unit which sits in the passenger footwell but below the dashboard so I’m thinking of getting rid of it. The washer is operated by the dome shaped button. I noticed it today actually but didn’t depress it. The car came from Canada but I’m not sure where it was built.
Thanks again all!!

Back