Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

what toe in on my 4 s

bigoldboy

Enthusiast
Hi there . Just fitted complete steering rack and track rod ends to my 1972 Renault 4 s does anyone know the toe in measurement .

Thanks

If you have the solid track rod ends the toe out is 0 to 5mm , as a general rule only rear wheel drive axles have toe in and front wheel drive toe out.

If you have the solid track rod ends the toe out is 0 to 5mm , as a general rule only rear wheel drive axles have toe in and front wheel drive toe out.
Thanks for that . The old steering rack did have solid track rod ends but the new one has the screw adjustable kind . So is 5mm toe out the maximum ? I was thinking of trying parallel first to see how it steered and then I could adjust the toe out from there .
Thanks again .

I use a Gunson G4008 Trakrite Wheel Alignment Gauge, it's a drive-over 'plate'; they are about £50 (ebay etc) but with careful use (dead level and quite smooth surfaces), it pays for itself time and again. Then you can experiment with no cost penalty, and know what the toe-in is set at! Book say 1mm to 5mm Toe OUT at the front for my 1984 van.

That's great. Now I feel I could be about to ask a Silly question. Where is the oil filter on my 1972 4 s ?

Not a silly question, as you may not have an oil filter - not all Renault 4s were fitted with them.

If you have got one, then it is on the engine block on the same side as the distributor.

So I can't find an oil filter anywhere on my engine, is this right ?
What oil should I use in my 1972 R 4 s

Thanks for that . Looking at my motor there is a circular plate with a hexagon head in the middle just below the distributor could this be a fitting for an oil filter on later models . Would you use a synthetic oil etc ?

Thanks

It is possible that is the plate but you will need a fitting kit and the filter has a imperial thread but after 47 years is it necasary unless you are going to rebuild the engine?
As for synthetic oil no. Modern mineral oils are good now, i use Shell 15_40 in mine ,the recomended oil was 20_40 but is difficult to find now along with 20_50 ,change oil regularly and your good to go in my opinion.

Back