Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Head Gasket..on my campus

Neill

Hello All

The Head Gasket went on my Campus recently..it's only done 50000k and I just like the car..I've had it 2 years and it's great... so I managed to get it to my Dad's mate who owns a garage and took the head off for him to have a look at (he was working on a crowd of other jobs so I got stuck in. Then I eft it with him to say yes or no...Next thing he'd fixed it, put a new MOT on it and was calling me up to go collect it...Yeah, another yeah for Minty.

I got there and he then said..he could not skim the head because the groove from the blow was too great to take out..so he'd used epoxy and quickly whacked the head back on....I drove it back the 10 miles thinking "epoxy..why did he do that?..will that work???"

Any thoughts on the matter folks??

Also, forward thinking.

Which Renaults other than my 1992 1.4 litre Renault 5 campus use the same engine...(is it a C1J or a C2J ? and does this matter?

My thoughts are that if I source another serviceable cylinder head, I can get it skimmed and replace it if/when the epoxy blows....so to widen the chance of getting a serviceable head are there any other Renault models that share the Head?

Hopefully this'll mean I can keep Minty chugging.

(As an aside I had a R4 van way back, the head went and an acquaintance just took a file to it..physically hand filed it..I was gob smacked..he put it back on and no problem..further gobsmacked.
Then it got nicked).

Thanks in advance All.

Neill

A little bit of info now I've read a couple of related threads. There's water still in the oil..emulsified. I thought the mechanic would have changed the oil and filter? Have to ask him about that..I'm thinking drain and refill the oil. Hopefully that'll get rid of most of the water and the rest will evaporate if I run the ?
I get the feeling that I'll finally be attempting to rebuild an engine before this is all finished. Hope I'm up to the job.
Neill

It seem to me that mechanic did not have "time" and "will" to do job in right way.
Definitely you should flush cooling system and put new cooling fluid, and new motor oil and oil filter.
If emulsion came back them you know what is problem.

I think (not sure) that same engine was in R19 and R21
The difference could be if engine is multipoint injection system, monopoint injection, carburetor with two or one chamber.
Heads should be the same (again not sure - never investigated that engine), and the difference is in inlet/outlet manifold.

Same engine would be in R11 and R19, possibly Clio but I'm not sure about that one. If I remember rightly though (and it's going back a bit) I don't think you are supposed to skim the heads on them so probably best to just find a good head and sling it on together with a new gasket and bolts etc.

Thanks for the reply..I wish he had just let me do the job..I offered because he was run ragged with other jobs. That way I could have been more diligent than he's been.
From looking into it, I think you're right Lobster and I'll probably be ok with a head off of a Mark 1 Clio.
Neill

i know Renault states do not plan the head but a good macheenist will be able to remove a little. these heads do distort when a gasket blow and the engine over heats
and it can have a little skim and it will be ok but only a little.

Back