Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 kit car

bantamallan

Enthusiast
I am using up some of my R4 bits to build a kit car designed for R5 bits but find the drive shafts are about 15mm too long. Are R5 shafts really 15mm shorter than R4 ones? If so anyone got any R5 shafts to spare?
Thanks
Allan

The belhouse on the R5 gearbox is 15mm longer than te R4 belhouse. And the driveshaft to.
Are you using an R4 Engine and an R5 Gearbox?

if they are a different length no one has told me
the innerjoint is sprung loaded meaning shaft appears to be too longdon't forget depending on what height the gearbox is mounted the overall length will change especially if the suspension is hanging down

It's an R5 engine with R4 gearbox, box is central in the chassis and with the suspension loose, ie not connected to torsion bar, so can be moved easily it is impossible to get the driveshaft into the hub. Also when shaft is in gearbox and held alongside hub approx 15mm of spline shows in front of hub. It's all Paul's fault, I bought the Hunter from his friend!
Allan

have you touched tried taking the bottom swivel nut off and refitting shaft and hub at same time i have had people who work for me swear it is impossible to fit mark 15 shafts back after i dismantle the car previously
you just called your kit car a hunter it's a hudson

Sorry Paul, yes a Hudson. It's supposed to be a 2 seater, but the passenger would need to be about 1M tall to fit so am just going to make it a single seater. Yes all ballpoints are loose, I'll have another go tomorrow and report.
Allan

Got the shafts in by removing the gearbox mounting and pushing the box sideways this gave the extra space to oft the shafts. I now need a R5 4 speed gearbox linkage, the bit from the gear lever to the gearbox, I have several links here but not the correct one.
Thanks all
Allan

are you going for dash change or floor change as not quite sure what bits you need
they are very rare dash change 5 the gear stick on the box is bent to a different shape
you may have to fabricate or modify something pretty sure i could find a floor change set up somewhere

Back