Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1.4 Litre Renault 4??????????

Also the Volvo engines don't have a thrust shaft support bearing in the back of the flywheel.

SO you need to get one and fit it as well as hte water pump modifications.

...using the neccesary longer camshaft from a standard r4 1108 will drop power back due to different valve timing
Unless you are using the tappets which were in service together with a used camshaft, you will need to replace the set with new or reground examples.
It would suffice, if a used R4 1108 camshaft was to be sent out for regrinding to Volvo specifications. The Tappets would, of course, have to be replaced with new ones. In fact, if new R4 1108 camshafts are not available with altered valve timing angles, the only option would be to have an old camshaft ground and hardened.
By the way, how do you people obtain MOT certification, for such modifications, without first updating the brake- and chassis specifications to harness the extra horsepower and higher top speed?

We don't!! I have a 1397 R5 with 5 speed box from Mr Reno in my F6 it all fits but still not finished (sorry Paul) The 'box is early type with R4 box top fitted, my son sent in photos of the conversion a couple of years ago.
Allan

Since there is little or no visual difference between the original and present drivetrains, the MOT technicians will likely not notice the change, unless they compare the engine numbers on the block with those recorded in the vehicle registration papers. However, in case of a serious accident, it may be possible that your insurance company will find these alterations

Back