Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

145 R13 Tyres

Chris Litchfield

Enthusiast
Hi all

I need to replace the old tyres on my R5 GTL (She currently has Michelin 145 R13 (MX on front and XZX on rears.)

I would like to find a good modern replacement, ideally Michelin.

Can anyone recommend a good Michelin match, or another good brand?

The cars handles really well on the current tyres.

Cheers

Chris

I think Michelin only make one 145 x 13 tyre now, the Energy E3B. I have just fitted 135 x 13 E3Bs on my R4 (I bought them a while ago) and they are great, so I expect the 145 will be as good.. I am sorry to say Michelin seem to not be making 135 x 13 tyres now, and R4s aren't classic enough for them to put them into their vintage range.

The Michelin energy tyres 10 years ago were rubbish in the wet and not really controllable once they got sliding They were the opposite of the MX. I don't know if they have got any better since.

My preference at the moment are Continental Ecocontact 3 on Reidalpine's recommendation. There is not a lot available in the size.

I like the R5. A good companion to the early R4.

Hey Malcolm, I had seen Continental came out with the 145/80 x 13 E-contact specifically for the Twizy and was thinking that would be great for rolling resistance, but what is the speed rating? I couldn't find it.

The Conti.eContact Electro are rated for an M speed code, that stands for 130km/h...too poor.

Back